Fox News tried to trip up Jen Psaki with a bogus voting law claim — but she quickly set the record straight
Major-League Baseball has decided to voice its opposition to Georgia's new voting laws by moving its 2021 All-Star Game from the Peach State to Colorado. Fox News reporter Peter Doocy brought up decision on Tuesday during a White House press conference, trying to claim that Colorado has "very similar" voting rules to Georgia — and Jen Psaki, White House press decretary for President Joe Biden, explained why Doocy's statement was misleading.
Psaki told Doocy, "Let me just refute the first point you made. First, let me say, on Colorado: Colorado allows you to register on Election Day. Colorado has voting by mail, where they send to 100% of people in the state, who are eligible, applications to vote by mail — 94% of people in Colorado voted by mail in the 2020 election. And they also allow for a range of materials to provide — even if they vote on Election Day, for the limited number of people who vote on Election Day."
PETER DOOCY: Is the WH concerned MLB is moving their All Star Game to Colorado, where voting rules are very similar… https://t.co/XpCAOXPpx6— Aaron Rupar (@Aaron Rupar)1617730334.0
The White House Press secretary continued, "I think it's important to remember the context here. The Georgia legislation is built on a lie. There was no widespread fraud in the 2020 election. Georgia's top Republican elections officials have acknowledged that repeatedly in interviews. What there was, however, was record-setting turnout, especially by voters of color."
Psaki went on to tell Doocy — who is the 33-year-old son of "Fox and Friends" co-host Steve Doocy — that Georgia Republicans are making it harder to vote because they were disappointed by Democratic victories in the state. Biden won Georgia in the 2020 election, and two Democrats were elected to the U.S. Senate via Georgia in January runoffs: Sen. Raphael Warnock and Sen. Jon Ossoff.
Psaki told Doocy, "What we're seeing here, for politicians who didn't like the outcome — they're not changing their policies to win more votes, they're changing the rules to exclude more voters…. It's up to Major-League Baseball to determine where they're holding their All-Star Game."
- White House press secretary shuts down Fox News' bogus attack on ... ›
- Fox News reporter mocked for 'gotcha question' after WH press ... ›
- Fox News reporter complains Biden doesn't take his outlet's ... ›
- WATCH: Jen Psaki comes prepared for Fox News reporter's Dr ... ›
- 'She got a snack': Jen Psaki pushes back after right-wing media slam Kamala Harris over bakery visit - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News’ new comedy show is amazingly bad — and here are some funny reviews - Alternet.org ›
- 'That is not how it works': Jen Psaki dismantles conservative reporter's factually incorrect question - Alternet.org ›
- Psaki brilliantly schools reporter that Biden traveling on Air Force One is different From Americans flying commercial - Alternet.org ›
- Will new voting laws crush turnout — or backfire? Here's what the research says - Alternet.org ›