Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger fires back after Kelly Loeffler demands an investigation of him
Five months after now-President Joe Biden defeated former President Donald Trump in Georgia, many Republicans in the Peach State continue to make bogus claims that widespread voter fraud occurred in the 2020 election. Former GOP Sen. Kelly Loeffler, who was voted out of office in early January, continues to be highly critical of Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a fellow Republican, for accepting Biden as president-elect last year — and Raffensperger is firing back.
Loeffler has been a passionate supporter of Georgia's Election Integrity Act of 2021, a widely criticized voter suppression bill that was recently signed into law by Republican Gov. Brian Kemp. Raffensperger supports it as well, but not because he believes that election fraud occurred in Georgia in 2020.
Loeffler has sent a letter to Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr, asking him to investigate Raffensperger and see if he misused his position to further his own political interests. And Raffensperger had a blistering response, saying, "Kelly Loeffler's failure to convince anyone she actually was a Trump supporter is the reason Georgia doesn't have a Republican Senator or the United States a Republican Senate."
Former @SenatorLoeffler continues the internal GOP warfare against Secretary of State Raffensperger by calling for… https://t.co/xwAeOOYALy— Greg Bluestein (@Greg Bluestein) 1619624783.0
@SenatorLoeffler Raffensperger responds: “Kelly Loeffler’s failure to convince anyone she actually was a Trump supp… https://t.co/Yf9coV4m35— Greg Bluestein (@Greg Bluestein) 1619624881.0
When Loeffler and another former GOP senator, David Perdue, lost runoff elections in Georgia in early January, Democrats obtained a narrow majority in the U.S. Senate — making Democrat Chuck Schumer Senate majority leader and Republican Mitch McConnell Senate minority leader.
- Trump targets Georgia secretary of state by backing far-right ... ›
- Listen: Trump caught on tape threatening Raffensperger and ... ›
- Wingnuts are determined to make Georgia Secretary of State Brad ... ›
- Why Brad Raffensperger's troubles are a sign of problems to come for non-extremist conservatives: columnist - Alternet.org ›
- Georgia GOP official who previously pushed back against Trump appears to have had a change of tune - Alternet.org ›
- DOJ officials shot down a colleague's request to interfere in Georgia's election certification: report - Alternet.org ›
- Trump ally Herschel Walker's wife voted in Georgia in 2022 — but she lives in Texas: report - Alternet.org ›
- Georgia Secretary of Stare reveals the true purpose of Trump's call to 'find' 11K votes - Alternet.org ›