Bill Barr sued by watchdog for records in potential DOJ corruption scheme
On Thursday, the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) announced a lawsuit against former Attorney General William Barr to obtain the records of a meeting he took with infamous Blackwater founder Erik Prince.
"CREW is suing the DOJ for records on any meetings that Barr and Prince had since they could reveal potential preferential treatment for Trump's allies in Department of Justice investigations," said the group their press release. "Prince reportedly faced a DOJ investigation for apparently lying before Congress about the Russia probe following Representative Adam Schiff's request for a criminal investigation, but almost two years later, no investigation has been reported and no charges have been announced. In addition to charges related to making false statements to Congress, DOJ apparently was considering whether Prince violated U.S. export laws, but no charges have been announced in that case either."
"Throughout his tenure, Barr consistently intervened in cases to the benefit of Trump's allies, including several Trump would later go on to pardon," continued the statement. "In his final days as president, Trump issued pardon after pardon to benefit himself and his cronies, including for four Blackwater guards convicted of killing of Iraqi civilians. Trump also pardoned Roger Stone and Michael Flynn, whose cases Barr and top DOJ officials had reportedly previously intervened in to withdraw stiff sentencing recommendations — in Stone's case, after Trump tweeted that the recommendations were unfair."
Prince, who is also a GOP megadonor and the brother of former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, was reportedly also involved in a meeting in the Seychelles to try to establish a backchannel to the Kremlin for the Trump administration. He is currently facing United Nations sanctions for allegedly violating an arms embargo in Libya.
- Bill Barr's years-long charade falls apart in an accidentally revealing ... ›
- Trump calls for the immediate firing of AG Bill Barr over Hunter Biden ... ›
- CNN's Chris Cuomo rips Bill Barr after shocking video surfaces ... ›
- Senior Justice Department official refused to appear for inspector general investigation — then abruptly quit - Alternet.org ›
- Trump spawned a new group of mega-donors who now hold sway over the GOP's future - Alternet.org ›
- Former DOJ official says Bill Barr now faces a potential 'criminal investigation’ after judge's revelation - Alternet.org ›