Anti-vaxxers are wearing Yellow Stars of David to protest coronavirus vaccines: report
Nazis required Jews to wear yellow Jewish stars and other holocaust badges to the lands they controlled during World War II.
Twitter user Chloe Adelstone posted a picture of a man in the United Kingdom misappropriating the symbol. She said, "I shouted at them and they gold me I was a Nazi for wearing a mask."
@Baddiel so horrific to see disgusting people wearing a yellow star at today’s protest saying ‘No Covid’. I shouted… https://t.co/cEeJquUl9R— Chloe Adlestone (@Chloe Adlestone)1619271095.0
Take. That. Off. https://t.co/9Vb7Yj60To— David Baddiel (@David Baddiel)1619271694.0
The Auschwitz Memorial blasted the anti-vaxx activists.
"Instrumentalization of the tragedy of Jews who suffered, were humiliated, marked with a yellow star, and finally isolated in ghettos and murdered during the Holocaust, in order to argue against vaccination that saves human lives is a sad symptom of moral and intellectual decline," the museum wrote.
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, anti-vaccine protesters were misappropriating the symbol.
"In recent months, some anti-vaccine activists (known as anti-vaxxers) have appropriated the yellow Star of David badge, which some European Jews were required to wear during the Holocaust, to symbolize their 'persecution' at the hands of government vaccine rules," the Anti-Defamation League reported in April of 2019. "The stars, emblazoned with the stylized words 'No Vax,' are showing up on social media, especially on Facebook, and at anti-vaccine events. This is a hugely inappropriate use of this enduring symbol of the persecution of Jews by the Nazis during World War II and minimizes and trivializes the experiences of the survivors and victims of the Holocaust."
The anti-vaccine activists were blasted online. Here's some of what people were saying:
How can we be assholes, a public health hazard, and anti-Semitic all at the same time? HOLD ON I HAVE AN IDEA https://t.co/zmwcVLCkHr— Thanks For Sharing Jerk (@Thanks For Sharing Jerk)1619293788.0
Ah yes, what could better illustrate your understanding of the Holocaust as your willingness to appropriate yellow… https://t.co/0xF3B10rmk— Don Moynihan (@Don Moynihan)1619300709.0
wtf is this garbage https://t.co/dRrSGjtWFs— Seth Trueger (@Seth Trueger)1619286638.0
I hope somewhere someone recognises this complete and utter moron https://t.co/BraLyCDqrM— Peter O’Hanraha-hanrahan 💙 (@Peter O’Hanraha-hanrahan 💙)1619274884.0
A yellow star. An actual yellow star. For a mewling demonstration of entitled narcissism that may likely kill. Wha… https://t.co/Z4pJO2RDkq— Stephen McGann💙 (@Stephen McGann💙)1619275237.0
- A tiny group of anti-vaxxers are flooding the internet with ... ›
- 'Sending people to their deaths': Internet explodes in outrage at ... ›
- Gwyneth Paltrow's anti-vaxxer ally comes under fire for 'discredited ... ›
- ‘Repulsive’: Tennessee shop faces backlash for selling wearable yellow stars of David that say ‘not vaccinated’ - Alternet.org ›
- MAGA hat store owner attacks BLM as brands distance themselves over antisemitic anti-vaxx stars - Alternet.org ›
- 'It's a crime. So is insurrection’: Steve Schmidt slams anti-vax Republican's 'BS' support of not vaccinating military - Alternet.org ›
- Climate change and the Moon are teaming up to create record floods on Earth - Alternet.org ›
- State Rep. Bill Kidd joked that he didn't get a vaccine because he’s a Republican — now he has COVID - Alternet.org ›
- 'Because we're a strong conservative family': A dad with Covid regrets the reason he didn't get vaccinated - Alternet.org ›
- Conservative writer lays out the distinct parallels between anti-vaxxers and the Capitol rioters - Alternet.org ›
- Brian May calls out Eric Clapton and other anti-vaxxers: 'I think they're fruitcakes' - Alternet.org ›
- Hilarious video shows how low-information anti-vaxxers can be: ‘I try not to argue facts’ - Alternet.org ›
- Violence has now become a more common feature of anti-mask and anti-vaccine protests - Alternet.org ›
- Jim Jordan gets a badly needed fact-check after claiming that 'vaccine mandates are un-American' - Alternet.org ›
- Inside the bizarro alternate universe of a closed Facebook group for anti-vaxxers - Alternet.org ›
- This popular church app has become a ‘dark’ hotbed of anti-vaxxer extremism: report - Alternet.org ›