Michael Cohen meets with Manhattan prosecutors to discuss Trump’s finances
Former President Donald Trump's finances have been the subject of an ongoing investigation by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr., and on March 10, prosecutors from Vance's office spent two and a half hours talking to Trump's former personal attorney, Michael Cohen.
The meeting, according to NBC News, took place online via Zoom, and prosecutors who were present during the call included Vance himself as well as Mark Pomerantz — who famously prosecuted mob boss John Gotti — General Counsel Carey Dunne and Assistant DA Solomon Shinerock.
According to NBC News, "A source with knowledge of the meeting says numerous documents were reviewed."
One of the people that Vance's office is paying close attention to as part of its investigation is Allen Weisselberg, long-time chief financial officer for the Trump Organization. Vance's office has been trying to determine what Weisselberg knows about the former president's real estate deals and financial transactions.
Michael Cohen thinks with New York County District Attorney Cy Vance bringing in prosecutor Mark Pomerantz to inves… https://t.co/jIOFUY7JvJ— Joy-Ann Pro-Democracy & Masks Reid 😷 (@Joy-Ann Pro-Democracy & Masks Reid 😷)1614044835.0
Trump has repeatedly described Vance's investigation as a "witch hunt," which is also how he described everything from former Special Counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation to his two impeachments. And the former president, for months, aggressively fought to prevent Vance's office from obtaining his tax returns. But in February, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled, 7-2, that Vance's office could have access to those returns and rejected Trump's argument that the Manhattan DA's office was overreaching.
When he was employed by the Trump Organization, Cohen was among Trump's closest allies. But he became a blistering critic of his former boss and has stressed that he is glad to assist prosecutors in any way that he can.
- Michael Cohen scorches Rudy Giuliani: He was 'used by Russians ... ›
- Here's how much time Michael Cohen is likely to spend in prison ... ›
- Michael Cohen offers a glimpse inside the dark world of an ... ›
- ‘They mean business now’: Manhattan DA has seriously ramped up his investigation of Trump’s finances - Alternet.org ›
- Trump accountant will flip to save his sons from prison -- according to Michael Cohen - Alternet.org ›
- Ex-wife of Trump Organization exec is cooperating with investigators - Alternet.org ›
- Zoom paid $0 in federal income taxes on 4,000% profit increase during pandemic: report - Alternet.org ›