Paramilitary 'Oath Keepers' leader says she waited for Trump to 'activate' them before Capitol attack: DOJ
In a filing Thursday federal prosecutors write, "As the inauguration grew nearer, Watkins indicated that she was awaiting direction from President Trump."
CNN calls it "the most direct language yet from federal prosecutors linking Trump's requests for support in Washington, DC, to the most militant aspects of the insurrection."
Prosecutors add that Watkins' "concern about taking action without [President Trump's] backing was evident in a November 9, 2020, text in which she stated, 'I am concerned this is an elaborate trap. Unless the POTUS himself activates us, it's not legit. The POTUS has the right to activate units too. If Trump asks me to come, I will. Otherwise, I can't trust it.' Watkins had perceived her desired signal by the end of December."
- Armed militia groups are taking Trump's civil war rhetoric literally ... ›
- Radical right-wing paramilitary group recruits Texas cops for 'bloody ... ›
- US authorities arrest 'Oath Keeper' on conspiracy charge in ... ›
- There's a growing body of evidence showing the Republican Party has a paramilitary wing - Alternet.org ›
- 'Bloody civil war': Inside the heavily armed contingency force hovering over the Oath Keepers Jan. 6 prosecution - Alternet.org ›
- Oath Keepers' founder under increased scrutiny as part of Capitol riots investigation - Alternet.org ›
- Oath Keepers leader reveals militia are being trained by police in '60 Minutes' interview - Alternet.org ›