'The arrogance is breathtaking': Milwaukee newspaper slams Ron Johnson for defying will of Wisconsin voters
Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin is among the Republican senators who, unlike Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, has vowed to contest the Electoral College results when the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives meet for a joint session of Congress on Wednesday, January 6. Wisconsin was among the states that President-elect Joe Biden won in the 2020 presidential election, and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's editorial board slams Johnson for failing to respect the will of Wisconsin voters in a scathing editorial published on January 5.
"The arrogance of Ron Johnson is breathtaking," the Journal Sentinel declares. "Johnson and 12 other Republican senators say they will challenge the tabulation of Electoral College votes in Congress on Wednesday in a dangerous political stunt that will accomplish nothing but may burnish their image with those who would choose outgoing President Donald Trump over democracy. Johnson and his shameful friends are planning to support Trump as he directly opposes the will of the people."
Editorial: Ron Johnson's dangerous shilling for Donald Trump makes him unfit to represent Wisconsin in the U.S. Sen… https://t.co/ljZyHguKpz— David D. Haynes (@David D. Haynes)1609873745.0
The editorial board stresses that although Biden will remain president-elect regardless of the "stunt" from Johnson and other GOP senators, that doesn't make it any less shameless.
"In the end, the results of the presidential election will not change: Joe Biden will still have beaten Trump by 7 million votes and won 306 electoral votes to Trump's 232," the Journal Sentinel says. "But Johnson's stunt will do harm to our democracy."
The Journal Sentinel continues, "What precedent is being set here? What happens the next time a party — either party — loses the presidency narrowly while controlling both houses of Congress? Will those politicians do what Johnson and his hyperpartisan mob are doing? Will they make up lies about the election, cry voter fraud, complain about voting machines, election officials and any other ghost they can conjure?"
The editorial board goes on to say that politically, Johnson should pay a price for his attack on U.S. democracy.
"Johnson's disgraceful display should not go unpunished," the Journal Sentinel tells readers. "While there is no way to recall a sitting senator — and censure or expulsion, though deserved, is unlikely given the politics of the moment — we urge voters to remember what Johnson has done. Hold him accountable. Demand that qualified challengers, Republican and Democrat alike, run against him if he has the audacity to break another promise and try for a third term in 2022."
- Ron Johnson and Chuck Grassley drop their Biden bombshell ... ›
- Sen. Ron Johnson invites AIDS-denying anti-vaxxer to testify on ... ›
- GOP Sens. Ron Johnson and Marsha Blackburn are tied to Russian ... ›
- 'I'm suspicious': Ron Johnson blasted for somehow blaming Nancy Pelosi for Capitol siege - Alternet.org ›
- Sen. Ron Johnson hammered for 'pants on fire' lie that January 6 Capitol coup wasn't an 'armed insurrection' - Alternet.org ›
- Wisconsin Republicans in a panic over possible loss of Ron Johnson's Senate seat: report - Alternet.org ›
- GOP's Ron Johnson delivers a jumbled response after being asked about his Capitol riot conspiracy - Alternet.org ›
- The worst senator in the country lets slip his bigoted thoughts about the Capitol attack - Alternet.org ›
- Ron Johnson: If insurrectionists had been Black Lives Matter instead of MAGA I would have been 'concerned' - Alternet.org ›
- Bob Menendez calls Ron Johnson a 'racist' on the Senate floor: 'Like rubbing salt in an open wound' - Alternet.org ›
- GOP Sen. Ron Johnson is playing a 'dangerously irresponsible' game with vaccines - Alternet.org ›
- 'This is wrong': Ron Johnson's anti-vaccination lies ripped apart by fact-checker - Alternet.org ›
- Ron Johnson exposes the real reason why GOP lawmakers would not support the Jan 6 commission - Alternet.org ›
- 'Sick and twisted excuse for a human being': Wisconsin paper slams Ron Johnson for defending Jan. 6 insurrectionists - Alternet.org ›