Listen: Trump caught on tape threatening Raffensperger and demanding state 'find' votes to overturn Biden win
In an hour-long phone call on Saturday, Donald Trump demanded that Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensberger commit multiple crimes in order to overturn the results of the state's presidential election. It is the latest and most shocking yet of Trump's efforts to retain power regardless of which laws must be broken, and it is all on tape.
The Washington Post obtained the recording of Trump's call to Raffensberger, and reports that Trump "alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims."
Trump urged Raffensperger to announce that he had "recalculated" the election results. There is little way to interpret the conversation other than a request by Trump for the state's election office to commit an unambiguous act of fraud.
"So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state," Trump said. At another point, he said that it would be a "criminal offense" if Raffensperger and his office did not back up Trump's false claims of ballot destruction, and a "big risk to you and [state legal counsel Ryan Germany]."
Though Trump's conversation would appear to constitute a criminal act, lawyer Cleta Mitchell and chief of staff Mark Meadows were also on the line; neither voiced objections to Trump's demands.
Asking that an election be fraudulently overturned is unquestionably a violation of Trump's oath of office and an impeachable act. Trump and his top advisers have crossed every line: endorsing fraud, encouraging sedition, and demanding the toppling of government. It is unforgivable, and every Republican who stands with him is betraying this nation.
- Georgia GOP secretary of state: Trump 'threw my family under the ... ›
- Georgia GOP secretary of state debunks claims by Trump and 'liar ... ›
- Trump campaign officials started pressuring Georgia's secretary of ... ›
- 'Open-and-shut crime': Members of Congress demand prosecution of Trump for election tampering - Alternet.org ›
- Trump called Georgia secretary of state nearly 20 times before recorded conversation - Alternet.org ›
- Election law expert breaks down the legal case for impeaching Trump over call to Georgia Secretary of State - Alternet.org ›
- Trump’s efforts to coerce Georgia’s secretary of state might carry legal risk: attorneys - Alternet.org ›
- Trump's 'smoking gun' tape is worse than Nixon's - Alternet.org ›
- Newly revealed audio caught Trump pressuring a Georgia official to help him overturn the 2020 election - Alternet.org ›
- Wingnuts are determined to make Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger pay dearly for crossing Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger fires back after Kelly Loeffler demands an investigation of him - Alternet.org ›
- Why Brad Raffensperger's troubles are a sign of problems to come for non-extremist conservatives: columnist - Alternet.org ›