Rand Paul gets hammered after making bogus claim that the election 'was stolen'
During a Senate Homeland Security Committee hearing on Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and fellow Republican Christopher Krebs — who formerly led a cybersecurity office at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security — expressed very different views on the security of the 2020 presidential election. Krebs, during his testimony, emphasized that the election was quite secure, while Paul echoed the baseless claims of widespread voter fraud that President Donald Trump's campaign and legal team have been promoting. And Paul's comments are getting a lot of reactions on Twitter.
"The election in many ways was stolen," Rand Paul lies, citing no evidence https://t.co/G4m7mU7qRV— Aaron Rupar (@Aaron Rupar) 1608136497.0
Paul told Krebs and senators on the Senate Homeland Security Committee, "If you're saying that it's the safest election based on no dead people voted…. no people broke the absentee rules, I think that's false. And I think that's what's upset a lot of people on our side — is that they're taking your statement to mean, 'Oh well, there was no problems in the elections.' I don't think that you've examined any of the problems that we've heard here."
Paul insisted, "The fraud happened. The election, in many ways, was stolen."
When Fox News' Laura Ingraham tweeted Paul's remarks, former Rep. Joe Walsh — a Never Trump conservative — posted:
“The fraud happened.” Hey Laura, @RandPaul presented ZERO evidence for this claim. Zero evidence. But that’s cool… https://t.co/F4EFIW2WNr— Joe Walsh (@Joe Walsh) 1608145736.0
Here's what other Twitter users have had to say in response to Paul's comments:
Democrat @JimGrayLexKY who lost to Rand Paul by 300k votes in their Senate race in 2016 should just come out now an… https://t.co/44l4R3yskh— Mehdi Hasan (@Mehdi Hasan) 1608146042.0
Rand paul undermining democracy because that’s the republican brand. https://t.co/IA7AkS67as— Molly Jong-Fast🏡 (@Molly Jong-Fast🏡) 1608144772.0
Hey Rand Paul, where is the god damn proof of your claim that the election was stolen? @RandPaul— David Weissman (@David Weissman) 1608148031.0
Rand Paul sounds like he’s been on a bender with Gaetz and Kavanaugh.— Scott Dworkin (@Scott Dworkin) 1608144978.0
The words you say matter. The leadership you show when you are needed most matters. Rand Paul has failed consistent… https://t.co/RCO6dx1ais— Charles Booker (@Charles Booker) 1608146838.0
No it was not. Rand Paul is an extremist and harming the US. https://t.co/cEDJ7q6DSm— Wajahat "Wears a Mask Because of a Pandemic" Ali (@Wajahat "Wears a Mask Because of a Pandemic" Ali) 1608143035.0
@MollyJongFast My money's on Rand to be the traitor in the Senate who challenges the Electoral College votes on Jan. 6th.— Sky Pape (@Sky Pape) 1608144994.0
@MollyJongFast Rand Paul uses the same kind of arguments that teenagers use when they want to prove they are right.… https://t.co/cG0HqNGyRP— shirley johnson (@shirley johnson) 1608145135.0
@WajahatAli Rand Paul: "In many ways the election was stolen." Interpretation: Blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans were allowed to vote.— Scott A Berger, MD (@Scott A Berger, MD) 1608148401.0
@davidmweissman @RandPaul The truth doesn't matter in the massive right wing media bubble that has been built up ov… https://t.co/iEjSQmS9HO— Riekopo (@Riekopo) 1608148503.0
- Rand Paul tells Fox News viewers that 11 million Americans should ... ›
- 9/11 first responder goes on Fox and slams Rand Paul's phony fiscal ... ›
- 'You're not listening': Dr. Fauci schools Rand Paul live during heated ... ›
- 'You're saying we're all liars!' Rand Paul melts down on ABC when confronted with election 'lies' - Alternet.org ›
- Why Republicans are going to war with reality - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Rand Paul laughs out loud about not wearing a mask on the Senate floor - Alternet.org ›
- Rand Paul gets schooled by scientists — including one he cited — after lashing out at Anthony Fauci - Alternet.org ›
- Rand Paul slammed for 'stupid' recommendation that Joe Biden ‘burn his mask’ to encourage COVID-19 vaccination - Alternet.org ›
- Sherrod Brown calls out Rand Paul for not wearing a mask in public: ‘He's kind of a lunatic’ - Alternet.org ›
- Rand Paul details death threats he and his family received amid ongoing COVID clash with Fauci - Alternet.org ›