US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is 'deeply concerned' about election integrity — in Tanzania
File under: You have got to be kidding me. Trump Sec. of State Mike Pompeo is very concerned about election irregularities in Tanzania.
Here's an official in a nonpartisan role who's currently under investigation for abusing that position to give a partisan speech for the Republican National Convention. Someone whose party is engaged in litigation in battleground state after battleground state to make it more difficult to vote or to block votes from being counted. The son of his party's leader incited followers to surround the opposition's campaign bus on a highway, risking serious accidents. On Saturday, law enforcement officials pepper sprayed a crowd of people including children as they marched from a church to the polls. One of his party's former top elections lawyers has spoken out, writing that "disenfranchising enough voters has become key to [Trump's] reelection strategy." But Pompeo is speaking out about how elections are conducted in other countries? Is he f'ing trolling us?
We are deeply concerned by reports of election irregularities, politically motivated arrests, and violence during T… https://t.co/h5vEFUDnvk— Secretary Pompeo (@Secretary Pompeo)1604324642.0
To be sure, there are reasons for concern over Tanzania's elections. No question.
However, you want to talk about lacking the moral standing to raise such concerns? Pompeo could be a poster boy for no moral standing. It would be a series of posters with Donald Trump as the lead-off, but Pompeo would not be out of place there.
- US State Department preventing Biden from accessing messages from foreign leaders - Alternet.org ›
- Rapture-prophesying Pompeo has Trump’s approval to bully Iran as long as he doesn’t ‘start World War III’ - Alternet.org ›
- 'Party-fail': Pompeo under quarantine after throwing sparsely-attended indoor holiday party - Alternet.org ›
- Trump dead silent as secretary of state blames Russia for massive US government hack - Alternet.org ›
- Mike Pompeo launches a preposterously pompous campaign of self-promotion - Alternet.org ›