Sidney Powell suffers another setback as Georgia GOP county chair demands removal from 'kraken' election lawsuit
Georgia is one of the states where Republican lawyer Sidney Powell is trying to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election and making baseless claims of widespread voter fraud. And on Thanksgiving, Jason Shepherd — the Republican Party chairman for Cobb County, Georgia — demanded to be removed from Powell's lawsuit in that state.
Shepherd told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "We (Sidney Powell's associate and I) discussed the Cobb GOP being a plaintiff, and I was open to it considering (a) multitude of troubling issues we've seen just in Cobb County. But we needed more information to at least make sure the executive officers were in agreement to us being a party in the suit."
Just in: Cobb County GOP chair Jason Shepherd, one of seven plaintiffs on Sidney Powell’s lawsuit targeting Georgia… https://t.co/krodnvsmbd— Greg Bluestein (@Greg Bluestein)1606402506.0
The Cobb County GOP chairman is complaining that Powell failed to provide the information that was needed for him to be a part of the lawsuit.
"I called Powell's associate to state we were, unfortunately, not going to be able to be part of the suit," Shepherd told the Journal-Constitution. "She confirmed she understood. Guess this is what happens when you wait until the last minute."
In the 2020 presidential election, President-elect Joe Biden won 306 electoral votes in addition to defeating President Donald Trump by more than 6 million in the popular vote. Trump's campaign and Republican lawyers have been fighting the election results in multiple swing states, from Georgia to Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. Some prominent Republicans — including Sen. Mitt Romney, GOP strategist Karl Rove and former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge — have acknowledged Biden as president-elect. But Powell, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and other GOP lawyers have kept insisting, without evidence, that Trump was the victim of widespread voter fraud and vowed to keep fighting in court.
Powell has been mocked unmercifully by her critics for promising to "release the kraken" with lawsuits in Michigan and Georgia lawsuits. In Norse mythology, a kraken is a giant sea monster — and the phrase "release the kraken" was used in the 1981 fantasy film, "Clash of the Titans."
The Kraken rises from the raging sea! Its thrashing tentacles, magnificent and furious! From the depths of its hide… https://t.co/xCg6kuaHGC— Joseph Scrimshaw (@Joseph Scrimshaw)1605316325.0
Do any of the Republicans saying Release the Kraken remember that the Kraken is defeated in stories it appears in?… https://t.co/g6kbWLgmdH— Gregg Housh (@Gregg Housh)1605626086.0
Powell has also been slammed by her critics for the typos that appeared in the Michigan and Georgia lawsuits, inspiring some social media users to joke that she won't be able to "release the kraken" if she can't even be bothered to proofread her own lawsuits.
- Michael Flynn's wacky new attorney has a colorful of way of ... ›
- Legal experts shocked by incoherence of Michael Flynn's lawyer ... ›
- Trump team now says attorney who lied with Giuliani for 2 hours at ... ›
- ‘Fantasy-planet stuff’: Legal reporter dismantles exiled Trump lawyer’s ‘kraken’ Georgia lawsuit - Alternet.org ›
- Dominion Voting Systems employees face 'death threats' and 'stalking' from Sidney Powell’s voter fraud claims - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Top Georgia GOP election official excoriates Senate GOP for abetting Trump in extraordinary video - Alternet.org ›
- Here's why Georgia officials are warning that pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell is a 'security risk' - Alternet.org ›
- A pro-Trump lawyer's 'epic fail': Sidney Powell makes a hilarious mistake in election lawsuit - Alternet.org ›
- Unsung heroes: The people who stood up to Trump in his final days - Alternet.org ›
- Michigan judge slaps down Sidney Powell’s lawsuit to overturn Biden’s victory: ‘The people have spoken’ - Alternet.org ›
- Listen: GOP-appointed judge excoriates Sidney Powell’s assault on democratic election results - Alternet.org ›
- Trump's attacks on the Georgia election are failing miserably — but show no sign of slowing down - Alternet.org ›
- Federal judge reminds Sydney Powell how US elections work in yet another blow to 'kraken' conspiracy suits - Alternet.org ›
- Detroit attorneys want Sidney Powell and her associates sanctioned for frivolous Michigan lawsuit - Alternet.org ›
- Legal experts lambaste 'Kraken' lawyers for attempting to blame filing error on SCOTUS clerk - Alternet.org ›
- Trump considering Sidney Powell as very special counsel to investigate 'election fraud' - Alternet.org ›
- Dominion plans to sue pro-Trump conspiracy theorist Sidney Powell for defamation — 'imminently' - Alternet.org ›
- Detroit asks federal judge to disbar Trump campaign's 'Kraken' team that fought to overturn election - Alternet.org ›
- Dominion Voting Systems slaps Trump campaign attorney Sidney Powell with massive billion-dollar lawsuit - Alternet.org ›
- Voters outraged as Georgia House passes 'reprehensible' GOP bill - Alternet.org ›
- 'That's pretty desperate': Sidney Powell forced to make a stunning admission in a response to a lawsuit - Alternet.org ›
- Here’s why the ‘tortured logic’ of Sidney Powell’s defamation lawsuit defense is so weak: conservative law professor - Alternet.org ›
- How Sidney Powell 'clowned' right-wing media and led them down a dark rabbit hole — ending in legal peril - Alternet.org ›
- GOP cancel culture targets Georgia: Republicans vie to silence critics of their war on voting - Alternet.org ›
- The High Court’s conservative justices are in sync 'against incarcerated people or immigrants’: law professor - Alternet.org ›