Top ethics expert compares Trump appointee blocking Biden transition to a drunk driver who ‘crushes’ kids
The refusal of General Services Administrator Emily Murphy to sign a letter stating it is "likely" Joe Biden won the election is comparable to a "drunk driver" who "crushes" school kids, says a former top government ethics official.
Walter Shaub in a series of tweets Wednesday blasted Murphy after a CNN report attempted to paint her in a favorable light.
"General Services Administrator Emily Murphy is struggling with the weight of the presidential election being dropped on her shoulders, feeling like she's been put in a no-win situation, according to people who have spoken to her recently," CNN reported. The piece has been widely panned with many making clear Murphy has zero defense for not allowing the Biden transition to officially begin.
Shaub is not mincing words.
When people die because @GSAEmily, drunk on partisan loyalty to a corrupt president, refuses to release transition… https://t.co/9X4lgSkky4— Walter Shaub (@Walter Shaub)1605737168.0
"Lawyers like [Emily Murphy] (and the DOJ lawyer who argued to deprive children sleeping on concrete floors of soap) exploit legal ambiguities," Shaub continued. But we have limited time to make this world worse or better. Withholding lifesaving resources during a pandemic is an immoral way to spend it."
He also says Murphy is "endangering American lives — solely for partisan political gain."
And here's what he has to say, presumably about that CNN fluff piece:
The recent reporting on her alleged internal struggle is the product of a media relations effort on her behalf. The… https://t.co/I0ry8WPlOV— Walter Shaub (@Walter Shaub)1605731270.0
- 'This chaos factor': Legal expert explains how Trump and his allies are ›
- Here's the real danger lurking in Trump's world-historical tantrum ... ›
- Trump's former chief of staff admits delaying transition 'hurts our ... ›
- Congressman whose subcommittee oversees GSA’s Emily Murphy slams her for denying transition: ‘She is a Trump loyalist’ - Alternet.org ›
- Trump official blocking Biden's transition refuses Congress's demand for her testimony - Alternet.org ›
- The Trump administration relents: GSA official Emily Muprhy tells Biden she will begin the transition - Alternet.org ›