Caravan of Trump supporters blocks people from voting in Southern California
Supporters of President Donald Trump have found another way to suppress votes that are likely to favor Democrats: using caravans of motorists to make it harder to get to a polling place. On Sunday — two days before Election Day — one such caravan of pro-Trump motorists, according to the Independent, caused voters in Temecula, California to call the police.
"The supporters paraded for 60 miles through Riverside County on Sunday afternoon before gathering at the city's (Ronald Reagan) Sports Park," The Independent's Stuti Mishra reports. "However, the crowd and their vehicles also ended up obstructing the access to the site, which included a voting center."
Brooke Federico, spokesperson for Riverside County — which is east of Los Angeles — told the Los Angeles Times, "Law enforcement was contacted to ensure that access to the parking lot and voter assistance center was clear. The Sheriff's Department responded and cleared access to the parking lot and voter assistance center."
Captain Zach Hall of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department was aware of the complaint but said that no arrests had been made.
Around 4000 Trump supporters, according to Mishra, gathered at Temecula's Ronald Reagan Sports Park for a pro-Trump event on Sunday. But California, which has 55 electoral votes, is one state that Trump is almost certain to lose.
Although California was a red state as recently as the 1980s, it is deep blue these days. The last Republican to carry California in a presidential election was the late George H.W. Bush in 1988, and a University of California at Berkeley poll released in late October found Trump trailing Biden by 36% in the Golden State.
- New Jersey police mulling against Trump supporters for obstructing traffic: ‘Irresponsible and dangerous’ - Alternet.org ›
- Why tens of millions surrendered their independence of mind and body to Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Delusional Trump Supporters have booked all of the rooms at Trump's DC hotel for 'his inauguration' - Alternet.org ›
- 'We're in for rough seas': Why this legal scholar really fears Trump's attempt to keep power no matter what - Alternet.org ›
- Here's what Trump supporters really believe about the election and his coup attempt - Alternet.org ›
- I finally talked to my sister -- who voted for Trump - Alternet.org ›
- 'Going to get ugly': Trump supporter uses his work email to threaten ‘mass execution of public officials’ - Alternet.org ›
- 'Could be a civil war': Trump supporters refuse to accept Biden will be president - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Where are the police?’: Lawmakers don gas masks, evacuate the Capitol as Trump supporters storm the building - Alternet.org ›
- How Trump's legacy will be marred by disturbing 'violent extremism' - Alternet.org ›