Ex-Trump insider is aghast the president finally followed through on his dangerous political threat

Ex-Trump insider is aghast the president finally followed through on his dangerous political threat
Miles Taylor // RVAT

President Donald Trump's Democratic critics have often accused of him being indifferent to the needs of blue states. In yet more evidence for this view, the president's administration has rejected California's request for a disaster declaration in response to a series of destructive wildfires, CNN reported this week.

Miles Taylor, a conservative and former Department of Homeland Security official who is supporting former Vice President Joe Biden, is expressing shock that Trump made good on his threat to reject California's request for disaster assistance. But as he explained, he already warned that Trump sought to do this.

On Friday, Taylor tweeted, "Wow — just like the last time @realDonaldTrump told us to cut off disaster aid $ to California for political purposes. Only then, we told him NO."

Taylor served in DHS from 2017-2019 and was chief of staff for former Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and later, Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf. Although Taylor is a right-wing Republican, he has come out strongly against Trump and in favor of Biden. In August, Taylor was featured in a scathing anti-Trump ad from the group Republican Voters Against Trump. Elizabeth Neumann, a conservative who formerly served as assistant secretary for threat prevention in DHS, has also appeared in an anti-Trump ad for RVAT and is endorsing Biden. He had explained in one ad that Trump had suggested cutting off aid to California because the state didn't support him, an idea that DHS reportedly rejected at the time.

Although California, with its warm and arid climate, has long been vulnerable to wildfires, this year has been especially bad. And Democratic California Gov. Gavin Newsom requested financial aid for his state in a letter sent to Trump's administration on September 28. Newsom, in his letter, estimated that infrastructure damage in California would exceed $229 million and warned, "The longer it takes for California and its communities to recover, the more severe, devastating and irreversible the economic impacts will be."

Brian Ferguson, a spokesman for the Governor's Office of Emergency Services in California, confirmed to CNN that Newsom's request had been rejected, saying, "The request for a major presidential disaster declaration for early September fires has been denied by the federal administration."

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. AlterNet’s journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. We’re here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And we’re proud to say that we’ve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 years—longer than any other progressive news site on the Internet.

It’s through the generosity of our supporters that we’re able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone can’t pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

Close
alternet logo

Tough Times

Demand honest news. Help support AlterNet and our mission to keep you informed during this crisis.