'They hate my guts': Lindsey Graham is freaking out and sounding desperate
As deep red as South Carolina is — President Donald Trump carried the state by 14% in 2016 — Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham is fighting a surprisingly tough reelection battle this year. His Democratic challenger in South Carolina’s U.S. Senate race, Jaime Harrison, is trailing him by only 1% in a Morning Consult poll released this week — while a recent Quinnipiac University poll found Graham and Harrison tied at 48% each. And during a Fox News appearance on Thursday, Graham complained about how robust Harrison’s fundraising has turned out to be.
The South Carolina senator told Fox News’ Ainsley Earhardt, “My opponent will raise almost $100 million dollars, Ainsley, in the state of South Carolina. The most money ever spent in the history of the state on a Senate race was by me in 2014, when I spent $13 million.”
“I’m being killed financially. This money is because they hate my guts,” Sen. Lindsey Graham who’s neck and neck wi… https://t.co/bIz2K06fN7— Shannon Watts (@Shannon Watts) 1600965856.0
Graham went on to say that the death of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on September 18 has energized Harrison’s fundraising, which was already energetic to begin with.
“[Harrison] raised $6 million from the time Justice Ginsburg passed away within 72 hours,” Graham told Earhardt. “And God bless Justice Ginsburg. We’re celebrating her life. I appreciate waiting until Saturday to announce the replacement. But I’m being killed financially. This money is because they hate my guts.”
Graham has drawn the ire of Democrats for insisting that a Senate vote on a Trump nominee for the Supreme Court needs to be held as soon as possible. This a major flip-flop from Graham, who previously promised that if a Supreme Court seat became vacant this election year, he wouldn’t favor voting on a nominee.
Election expert Larry Sabato has shifted South Carolina’s Senate race from “likely Republican” to “leans Republican.”
- Lindsey Graham faces backlash for repeated racial innuendos - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsey Graham, who begged for cash on Fox News, tells Sean Hannity he will give Trump $500,000 - Alternet.org ›
- New report reveals Lindsey Graham sought to have a GOP official help Trump overturn his loss in Georgia - Alternet.org ›
- Watch: Lindsey Graham requires police protection while being accosted by Trump supporters - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsey Graham slammed for equating Trump accountability with divisive 'vengeance' - Alternet.org ›
- Experts slam 'historically loathsome' Lindsey Graham for urging Schumer to 'dismiss' impeachment - Alternet.org ›
- 'For what?': Defiant Lindsey Graham insists he has nothing to apologize for after months of election lies - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsey Graham bizarrely threatens to make impeachment trial a thorough investigation - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsey Graham under fire for blocking Merrick Garland's Senate confirmation - Alternet.org ›
- Graham said the 'not guilty vote is growing' after Trump impeachment case — and Twitter let him have it - Alternet.org ›
- Republicans are on the verge of a dangerous choice against democracy - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsay Graham again consults with Trump's attorneys -- in the middle of the trial: 'They actually pulled him off the floor' - Alternet.org ›
- Lindsey Graham: 'I don’t see how Kamala Harris doesn’t get impeached' - Alternet.org ›
- 'We're tired of it': Lindsey Graham accuses Biden of playing 'the race card' - Alternet.org ›
- Sen. Lindsey Graham admits GOP's new voter restrictions don't make sense - Alternet.org ›