Matt Gaetz accuses GOP’s Kelly Loeffler of bribing Trump with $50 million to push out her opponent
On Thursday, The Daily Beast reported that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) is accusing Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) of offering President Donald Trump money for his re-election in return for helping her push opponent Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA) out of the race.
“This is what the Loeffler team went to the Trump team with,” said Gaetz at a campaign event for Collins. “They went and said, ‘Look, you guys gotta get Doug Collins out of this race’ … She said, ‘I have $50 million for this project, and I can either spend my $50 million getting new voters and helping the Trump campaign, or I can spend that $50 million taking out Doug Collins.’”
“While other sources confirmed that a message about Loeffler’s potentially diminished financial support was passed from her team to Trump’s, they described Loeffler’s reported ultimatum as more nuanced than Gaetz portrayed it,” reported Lachlan Markay. “According to one source familiar with the interactions, the Loeffler team’s offer had more to do with supporting other Senate candidates than with supporting the president, and was actually relayed to the president’s campaign by way of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). ‘Basically it was to get McConnell and the Senate committee behind Loeffler and to not support Collins,’ the source said.”
The Senate special election in Georgia is being run as a jungle primary, with all Democrats and all Republican running together on the same ballot and the top two advancing if no one gets over 50 percent. Recent polls have shown a tight race for the top two positions between Loeffler, Collins, and the leading Democrat, Reverend Raphael Warnock.
- Georgia senator blatantly breaks Senate rules while live on air with Fox News - Alternet.org ›
- Inside Kelly Loeffler's offshore tax shelter scheme - Alternet.org ›
- Kelly Loeffler frequently ditches mask to campaign. She just tested positive for COVID-19 - Alternet.org ›
- Kelly Loeffler's husband broke years-long pattern when he dumped his own stock this spring - Alternet.org ›
- GOP Sen. Kelly Loeffler is trying to win over Black voters — and it's completely ridiculous - Alternet.org ›
- Kelly Loeffler asked Donald Trump’s supporters for money on Parler — and it massively backfired - Alternet.org ›
- Kelly Loeffler sides with Trump against 'Big Tech' — after building a massive fortune in the industry - Alternet.org ›
- Kelly Loeffler's campaign condemns photo with longtime KKK member convicted of beating a Black man - Alternet.org ›
- GOP Sen. Loeffler weighs subverting democracy in craven effort to win Senate runoff - Alternet.org ›
- Kelly Loeffler says she uses $10 billion private jet to save taxpayers — but they're still covering her flights to DC - Alternet.org ›