Trump administration hijacked 5 million masks from veterans hospitals: chief physician

Trump administration hijacked 5 million masks from veterans hospitals: chief physician
President Donald J. Trump, joined by Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin, National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, signs an Executive Order on Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Syria on Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, in the Oval Office of the White House. (Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead)

The chief physician overseeing the Veterans Health Administration acknowledged that the Trump administration redirected a shipment of masks to the national stockpile after officials denied claims that health care workers were forced to work with inadequate protective equipment.


"I had 5 million masks incoming that disappeared," Richard Stone, the executive in charge of the veterans health system, told The Washington Post.

Stone said the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) directed vendors to send the masks to the agency rather than the VA so it could replenish the dwindling national stockpile. As a result, Stone said he was forced to move to "austerity levels" at some of the system's hospitals.

"The supply system was responding to FEMA," he said. "I couldn't tell you when my next delivery was coming in."

After VA Secretary Robert Wilkie appealed to the agency, FEMA provided the VA with 500,000 masks, about 10% of the shipment they ordered.

Numerous governors and hospital officials have similarly reported that FEMA confiscated ventilators and protective equipment sent to their states. Some officials have started smuggling supplies from China, going as far as disguising the shipments in food trucks.

The lack of a steady supply has forced the VA to limit employees treating coronavirus patients to just one mask per day. Other hospital workers have been instructed to wear their masks for up to a week and staple it back together if the straps snap. A recent memo from a top health system official urged regional directors to prepare for "scenarios that permit extended mask use, permit limited re-use, permit staff to bring in their own facemasks and N95 respirators and allow decontamination of used N95 respirators."

VA officials had denied staff complaints about inadequate supplies, but the virus has wreaked havoc on the nations's largest health-care system. About 1,900 health workers have contracted the virus and 20 have died, according to The Associated Press. Another 3,600 health workers are in quarantine after being exposed.

The Labor Department said it has launched an investigation into a union complaint alleging that one VA hospital ordered employees suspected of being infected to continue to work. Nurses in Florida and Georgia have staged protests outside VA facilities in response to the supply shortages.

"As a nurse during this pandemic, my job is to protect and heal veterans but without proper protective equipment, I cannot safely do my job that has been my calling for 26 years," Dana Horton, the National Nurses United Atlanta chief nurse representative, said. "I know working without the proper protections, I am endangering myself, my co-workers, the veterans I care for and our community by possibly exposing others to COVID-19."

The VA previously insisted that there have been no problems.

"All VA facilities are equipped with essential items and supplies to handle coronavirus cases, and all VA employees have the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment, as per CDC guidelines," VA press secretary Christina Noel said in response to scrutiny from the House and Senate Veterans' Affairs Committees. "VA is monitoring the supply levels at every facility every day to make sure facilities have adequate PPE for the number and types of patients they are seeing, and if a facility were to fall below stock levels, the facility could be cross-leveled by another VA facility or region."

House Veteran's Affairs Chairman Mark Takano, D-Calif., and the panel's Democratic members sent a letter to Vice President Mike Pence, the head of the White House coronavirus task force, complaining that the White House Office of Management and Budget had blocked their requests for documents related to hospital operations.

"We have found that the information reported to the Committees through VA's daily and weekly briefings — especially with regard to availability of personal protective equipment — stands in stark contrast to what we have heard from VA employees and read in the media regarding PPE shortages at VA medical facilities," the letter said. "The lack of specificity in VA's ongoing briefings for the committee not only poses risks of potential harm to veterans but also leads us to a simple conclusion: Your administration has hamstrung VA's ability to ensure Congress is fully informed of the full extent to which it is prepared to care for veterans."

Takano added that the committee members "don't need to waste any more of Secretary Wilkie's and Stone's valuable time with further requests for these documents when it is clear that the White House and OMB are holding up their release."

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. AlterNet’s journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. We’re here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And we’re proud to say that we’ve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 years—longer than any other progressive news site on the Internet.

It’s through the generosity of our supporters that we’re able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone can’t pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

DonateDonate by credit card

Close

Thanks for your support!

Did you enjoy AlterNet this year? Join us! We're offering AlterNet ad-free for 15% off - just $2 per week. From now until March 15th.