GOP congressman blasts Trump for quoting evangelical pastor's ‘civil war’ threat: ‘This is beyond repugnant’
Appearing on Fox News on Sunday, Robert Jeffress — one of President Donald Trump’s far-right white evangelical sycophants — asserted that Trump’s impeachment could cause “a Civil War-like fracture” in the United States. Trump repeated Jeffress’ assertion on Twitter — and got an angry response from a fellow Republican: Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois.
Jeffress, pastor at the First Baptist Church in Dallas, is a prominent figure on the Christian Right. And during his Sunday appearance on Fox News’ “Fox and Friends,” Jeffress insisted to co-hosts Pete Hegseth and Jedediah Bila that Trump has done nothing to deserve impeachment and attacked House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for supporting an impeachment inquiry — stressing, “I do want to make this prediction this morning: if the Democrats are successful in removing the president from office, I’m afraid it will cause a Civil War-like fracture in this nation from which this country will never heal.”
On Twitter, Trump quoted Jeffress and zeroed right in on the Civil War part:
....If the Democrats are successful in removing the President from office (which they will never be), it will cause… https://t.co/3f1ERjlDXw— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump) 1569805915
Upon seeing Trump’s post, Kinzinger angrily tweeted in response, “I have visited nations ravaged by civil war. @realDonaldTrump I have never imagined such a quote to be repeated by a President. This is beyond repugnant.”
A 41-year-old military veteran who served in the U.S. Air Force during the Iraq War, Kinzinger was first elected to the House as a Republican in 2010.
Trump is facing an impeachment inquiry in the U.S. House of Representatives because of a July 25 phone conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. A rough transcript/summary of that conversation shows that Trump tried to pressure Zelensky into digging up dirt on a political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, and his son Hunter Biden — which Pelosi, formerly the Democratic Party’s most prominent opponent of impeaching Trump, considers an impeachable offense.
- Republican congressmen go to war with each other over Trump's bogus fraud claims - Alternet.org ›
- 'They won't succeed': GOP lawmaker reveals what Republicans really think about overturning the election - Alternet.org ›
- Far-right pastor says God wouldn't let Trump be 'replaced' by 'baby-killing socialist' Biden - Alternet.org ›
- Family members' wild letter accuses a Republican who voted against Trump of joining the 'devil's army' - Alternet.org ›
- Adam Kinzinger torches Tucker Carlson for insisting he cannot 'locate the famous QAnon' - Alternet.org ›
- GOP rep rips Hawley for his 'smug face' at CPAC after Capitol riot: 'There are five people dead' - Alternet.org ›
- Here's why a GOP congressman declared Trump 'is losing it' after latest broadside - Alternet.org ›