comments_image Comments

Latest on Boston: CNN Retracts Report of an Arrest, FBI Chides Media for Jumping the Gun

Authorities will hold a press conference on developments in the case.
 
 
Share

A makeshift memorial to victims, a short distance from the finish line, April 17, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. No one has yet been arrested in connection with the deadly bomb attacks at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, city police said Wednesday,

 

Updated: 4:53 p.m.

A press conference by police authorities that was scheduled to begin at 5:00 p.m. Eastern has been delayed. The New York Times said it will disclose that video cameras have recorded a man who is believed to have planted the bomb at the Boston Marathon. The report said:

"The possible break in the case came as investigators pored over scores of videos and photographs that they solicited from surveillance cameras from nearby businesses, smartphone wielding marathon spectators and television crews who were there filming the Boston Marathon when the deadly blasts went off on Monday near the finish line. The revelation of the video was the first sign that the authorities might be moving closer to discovering who was behind the attacks, which killed three people and injured more than 170."

Updated: 4:33 p.m.

Earlier today, CNN and the AP reported that authorities had made an arrest in the Boston bombing case. They've retracted those reports. The FBI chided the media for jumping the gun in a statement:

 

Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.

Updated: 3:14 p.m.

Forty-eight hours after the lethal bombing at the Boston Marathon, authorities have information regarding a suspect, according to various news outlets. Eager media outlets initially reported that there has been an arrest made, but then backed off that assertion. 

There is no information on the identity of the individual. Nor have any other details such as nationality, whether the person is thought to have acted alone, or possible motives. CNN reporters were saying the suspect is male. Then CNN and MSNBC said there has been no arrest.

Reportedly, a suspect was found through "enhanced video analysis" from surveillance cameras at the Lord & Taylor store across the street from the second explosion near the marathon finish line. CNN's John King said authorities said they were able to clearly see a man "making the drop," meaning placing a black bag at the scene, and then moving away from the scene.

CNN is also reporting that there is a photo taken by a spectator at the marathon of someone fleeing at the moment the bomb when off, while others around him just look stunned or are covering their ears.

Investigators had already found pieces of a circuit board beleived to be part of one of the bombs, and the lid of a pressure cooker involved in the explosion.

Media outlets are saying authorities say that there will be a news briefing later in the day.