It only needs one word: “Tina.” The new documentary about the hardscrabble life of one of music’s most vaunted superstars — Tina Turner — is a blazing dive into the seesawing success and horrors of her life with the abusive Ike Turner, her unlikely — yet spectacular — return as a middle-aged rock strutter in the ’80s and her current state of retirement in Europe with longtime love Erwin Bach. Dan Lindsay and TJ Martin, the Oscar-winning directors behind “Undefeated” and “LA 92,” teamed again to showcase Turner’s extraordinary life in the film, which debuts Saturday on HBO Max. Even fans famili...
ATLANTA — Cherokee County Sheriff Frank Reynolds said Wednesday the suspect in a shooting spree that killed eight people bought the gun he used hours earlier. Investigators also believe 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long, accused in the shootings in Cherokee and Atlanta, may have a sexual addiction and frequented the types of businesses he allegedly targeted. ”During his interview, he gave no indicators that this was racially motivated,” Reynolds said. “We asked him that specifically and the answer was no.” But Long did take responsibility for the shootings, Capt. Jay Baker with the Cherokee sherif...
- Atlanta columnist: Georgia Republicans are trying to make good on ... ›
- 'Absurd': Video of huge line of Georgia voters waiting to cast ballots ... ›
- How an Apartment Tower in Atlanta Is Making Life a Living Hell for ... ›
- The truth about the Atlanta shooter's supposed excuses - Alternet.org ›
- Fox News slammed for whitewashing Georgia Spa Shooter as "'remorseful' sex addict?" - Alternet.org ›
- American crisis: The horrific Atlanta killings shows a democracy still under threat - Alternet.org ›
ATLANTA — Former Vice President Joe Biden opened up a narrow lead over President Donald Trump in Georgia early Friday morning as absentee ballots continued to be counted.Biden led by 917 votes after Clayton County counted more absentee ballots. Biden won 87% of ballots tabulated between late Thursday night and Friday morning in Clayton, located south of Atlanta.Biden chipped away at Trump’s lead since Election Day as more absentee ballots were counted. Biden trailed by 118,000 votes on Wednesday morning but steadily gained ground as over 237,000 absentee ballots, many of them from Democratic-l...
- Armed Biden and Trump supporters involved in violent clash outside ... ›
- Georgia will be a real nail-biter this year — and that includes 2 ... ›
- New swing state polls show a strong path for Biden — but also ... ›
- Georgia GOP secretary of state debunks claims by Trump and 'liar' campaign aide leading recount effort - Alternet.org ›
- How did Joe Biden do so well in Georgia? A political scientist explains - Alternet.org ›
ATLANTA — The latest list of Georgia voters makes it easy to see why the state is in play this election.One million new voters since 2016. A younger, more racially diverse electorate. Rapid changes in Georgia’s voting population.There are now a record 7.6 million registered voters in Georgia, according to voter registration rolls obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution from the secretary of state’s office after the Oct. 5 registration deadline.Shifts among Georgia’s voters threaten the state’s 28-year run of consecutive Republican victories in presidential races, said Charles Bullock, a U...
MACON, Ga. — Racing to squeeze more support from heavily Republican rural areas, President Donald Trump promised a “red wave” would crush Democrats in November and touted his administration’s agricultural programs at an outdoor rally that underscored Georgia’s tight race for the White House.Throughout his Friday speech to more than 1,000 supporters packing a Macon airport, Trump said he had no doubt Georgia would remain in the GOP column in November, despite polls showing Joe Biden threatening to become the first Democrat to carry the state since 1992.The president sprinkled his remarks with s...
- Donald Trump's Rural Voters Could Be His Administration's Biggest ... ›
- Don't Write Off People in 'Trump Country' - Here's What Rural Voters ... ›
- It's Not Rural Voters Who Put Trump in Office – It's White People ... ›
ATLANTA — Two children of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s are slamming President Donald Trump and his reelection campaign for using their father's image in a campaign ad. The 90-second ad extolls American virtues of bravery, hard work and persistence. It includes images of King and baseball legend Jackie Robinson with narration, “Impossible? We treat that word as motivation. "The only other Black images in the video are of a Black jazz band and, earlier, a masked woman walking past a boarded-up storefront, when the narration warns that “some folks want to … terrorize our communities."All of th...