new orleans

'Why do you need Donald Trump?' Michael Steele explodes at 'incompetent' GOP governor

President Donald Trump recently floated the idea of sending National Guard troops to New Orleans, Louisiana, after Gov. Jeff Landry (R) sent the president a formal request. MSNBC host Michael Steele — who is the former Republican lieutenant governor of Maryland — said that Landry's request should be seen as an admission of failure.

Trump's proposal to deploy the military to the Big Easy comes after the president's repeated threats of a troop deployment to Chicago, Illinois. However, because a president's Title 32 authority — which he's used to circumvent the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 that prohibits the military from being used as domestic law enforcement personnel — requires a governor's consent, sending troops to a state with a Republican governor would be a lighter lift than doing so in a state with a Democratic governor. Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) has so far refused Trump's call to request assistance, stymieing the administration's efforts to send troops.

In a Wednesday segment on his show "The Weeknight," Steele called Landry's request — in which he welcomed federal assistance "from New Orleans to Shreveport" — "a load of crock" that proves his "incompetency" as governor of the Bayou State.

READ MORE: 'Trump takes this snub personally': Conservative mocks 'saddest little dictator'

"If the good Governor Landry had such a problem in New Orleans or Shreveport, what the hell have you been doing all this time as governor? The National Guard is under his purview. So why do you need Donald Trump to come into your state to get the National Guard to deal with your crime problem?" Steele asked.

"And if that's the case, then why the hell are you governor? Because you haven't done the job," he continued. "You've allowed this to fester under your watch. And you're so incompetent at this point that you need the help of the president of the United States to validate your incompetency."

Trump's stated reason for the deployment is to deal with crime in Louisiana. However, Steele's co-host, Alicia Melendez, observed earlier in the segment that in New Orleans, firearm-related homicides are down by 38 percent compared to September of 2024, while overall crime in the Crescent City is down by more than 21 percent over the same time period. Steele said that in his experience as a former statewide elected official, the buck stops with him, and begging the federal government for help would be seen as a lack of effective state leadership.

"I don't understand. Help me understand what I'm missing," Steele said. "Because as the former lieutenant governor of a state, I know damn well that if it's happening on my watch in Baltimore or Prince George's County, Anne Arundel County, that's on us. And if we're calling the president to come in? Then we really messed some stuff up."

READ MORE: 'Sound familiar?' Mitch McConnell lobs parting shot at 'America First' Republicans

Watch the segment below, or by clicking this link.

- YouTube www.youtube.com

New Orleans police release body camera footage of shootout with Bourbon Street terrorist

New body-worn camera footage has been released of the confrontation between police and a terrorist in the early morning hours of New Years' Day on New Orleans' Bourbon Street.

NBC News reported that the footage also marks the first time the names of the officers who shot and killed 42 year-old Shamsud din-Jabbar — a U.S. Army veteran — have been revealed to the public. New Orleans Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick said Officers Nigel Daggs, Christian Beyer and Jacobie Jordan were "well within policy" in fatally shooting the man who had just driven a truck through a crowd of people celebrating the new year.

"They killed the terrorist," Kirkpatrick said of the three officers. "They are national heroes."

READ MORE: Ex-FBI official lays out 'split-second decisions' police had to make during Bourbon Street massacre

In the video footage, which is roughly 10 seconds long, officers are seen standing with guns drawn outside of the truck din-Jabbar used to kill 14 people and injure dozens of others on the Crescent City's most famous street. Officer Luis Robles' body camera shows him walking up to the truck, where a man is seen inside wearing a white shirt.

Officers Beyer and Jordan are standing at the driver's side of the vehicle, while Daggs is on the passenger side. One officer can be heard yelling "put your hands up" before gunshots ring out. Robles then dives to the ground along with several other officers as police shoot at Jabbar.

"All officers are faced with ‘shoot, don’t shoot.’ And this was clearly within the law and clearly, solidly within policy," Kirkpatrick said.

The New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) stated that a result of the shootout, Officers Jordan and Joseph Rodrigue were each shot in the thigh. Rodrigue also suffered a fractured shoulder. Officer Daggs is a 21-year veteran of the NOPD, while Officers Beyer and Jordan have been with the department for under two years.

READ MORE: 'Disgrace': GOP senator slammed for 'tone-deaf' remark in response to terror attack

Watch the body camera footage below, or by clicking this link. (Warning: This video could be disturbing to some viewers.)




Trump’s lie about the New Orleans terrorist highlights this 'dangerous habit': Jen Psaki

After a terrorist rammed a truck into a crowd of people on New Orleans' Bourbon Street, President-elect Donald Trump quickly used the attack to justify his immigration agenda. One former White House official is urging Americans to expect more of that rhetoric over the next four years.

In a Saturday essay for MSNBC, former White House press secretary Jen Psaki (who is now a host on the network) noted that after Trump's false claim that the man behind the deadly attack that killed 14 people and injured dozens of others was an undocumented immigrant, his top allies repeated the lie on multiple occasions before it was eventually debunked. And even though Fox News fact-checked the president-elect's claim, Psaki pointed out that incoming National Security Advisor Rep. Mike Waltz (R-Fla.) is "still exploiting this tragedy to push for confirmations of Trump’s national security picks — including himself — 'on day one.'"

"Here’s the truth: The New Orleans attacker was a U.S. citizen, born in the United States, and an Army veteran," Psaki wrote. "Yet Johnson and others continued to echo this claim on Fox well after the network corrected itself."

READ MORE: Fox News forced to fact-check Trump after reading his statement on New Orleans attacker

"This focus on the border is a distraction from the real questions that need to be asked," she added. "What radicalized a U.S. citizen to commit such a horrific crime? Trump will be president in just 16 days, and this week highlights his dangerous habit of prioritizing political narratives over actual threats."

42 year-old Army veteran Texas resident Shamsud din-Jabbar was behind the wheel of the truck when he carried out his attack, and investigators suspect he was motivated by the ideology of ISIS, whose flag was mounted on the back of the truck. While Fox News initially claimed the truck was seen crossing the Southern border with Mexico, police later revealed that the truck didn't belong to the attacker, but was rented on the Turo app.

Also on New Years' Day, Special Forces veteran Matthew Livelsberger detonated a Tesla Cybertruck outside of the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, injuring seven people. His uncle told the Independent that Livelsberger was a "Rambo type" who "loved Trump" and described the Green Beret and Bronze Star recipient as a "patriotic American."

Click here to read Psaki's essay in full.

READ MORE: (Opinion) Trump is using the NOLA tragedy to hide his bait and switch

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web

'Disgrace': GOP senator slammed for 'tone deaf' remark in response to terror attack

Sen. John Neely Kennedy (R-La.) made a dig at a news outlet in the middle of a press conference following the deadly terror attack in New Orleans on New Years' Day. Several journalists, pundits and elected officials are now condemning his remarks.

The Daily Beast reported that while taking questions from assembled reporters on Wednesday, Kennedy was told that an NBC News reporter was "on the right" and wanted to ask a question. Kennedy said that "was an unusual position" for the outlet, which prompted the reporter to say: "I don't get it."

"You wouldn't," Kennedy responded.

READ MORE: GOP senator uses hearing on 'hate crime crisis' as platform 'to launch a series of racist attacks'

"Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana is a useless piece of s— saying all the wrong things at the wrong time for all the wrong reasons," tweeted former MSNBC host Keith Olbermann. "What a tone deaf, selfish, senile motherf—er."

Louisiana Public Service Commissioner Davante Lewis also chimed in, calling out Kennedy's "unacceptable and deplorable behavior" and telling the Bayou State's junior U.S. senator that the press conference "wasn't the time or place for you[r] jackass jokes."

"For once can you put the people of Louisiana over your media obsession," Lewis tweeted.

The terror attack, which was carried out by a 42 year-old American-born U.S. military veteran, left 14 dead and dozens injured on Bourbon Street in New Orleans' French Quarter. The attacker was eventually killed in a shootout with police.

READ MORE: Ex-FBI official lays out 'split-second decisions' police had to make during Bourbon Street massacre

"If my constituents had just been slaughtered in a terrorist attack I wouldn't be cracking jokes for the cameras but that's just me," former Obama administration official Eric Columbus posted to X.

"This man is a thorough disgrace to the office he holds," tweeted scientist and author Michael E. Mann. "He should resign immediately."

Watch the video of Kennedy's comment below, or by clicking this link.

READ MORE: Ten dead after mass casualty incident on New Orleans’ Bourbon Street: reports

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web

Here's why urban communities of color are increasingly rejecting charter schools

At a recent school board meeting in New Orleans, more than 100 parents swamped the hearing room, requiring dozens to have to stand. Many of the parents had filled out public comment cards so they would be allowed to address the board.

Keep reading...Show less

‘Cursing’ Truck Driver Who Hit Protester Outside Sessions’ New Orleans Speech Hasn't Been Arrested

A man who reportedly shouted profanity at demonstrators outside a New Orleans speech by Attorney General Jeff Sessions has not been arrested after hitting a woman with his truck.

Keep reading...Show less

There's a Looming 'Existential Threat' to New Orleans That Should Frighten Every Sane American

With the New Orleans city council set to vote Thursday on the future of Entergy's new fracked gas power plant—a $210 million gas-fired peaking power plant in New Orleans East—filmmaker/activist Josh Fox is calling on concerned citizens to stand up and join what he called in a recent email a "crucial fight for environmental justice." He described the proposed plant, which would expose residents to many of the same health risks as living next to fracking wells, as "an existential threat" to New Orleans.

Keep reading...Show less

BLM Activist Who Took Down Confederate Flag on TV Was Shot and Killed While Riding Bike

A Black Lives Matter leader from Charleston, North Carolina, died Tuesday after he was shot in New Orleans, Live News 5 reports.

Keep reading...Show less

Charter Schools Are Making School Segregation Worse - And Their Supporters Need to Own Up to That

Charter schools didn’t create segregation but the charter school movement isn’t helping to end it either.

Keep reading...Show less

From New Orleans, Warnings for Texas About School Privatization

My prayers are with you, Texas. My memories are with you too. The day after Katrina hit New Orleans, my family and I made the 17 hour car ride to Houston. The people of Texas welcomed us, opening their homes and helping us out with clothing, even financial assistance. As a native New Orleanian, I wish that I could do the same for you now. But what’s happened in my city and to its schools serves as a cautionary tale to residents of Houston. Reeling from the disaster, our communities were scattered like the four winds. I returned from Houston, many of us did, but the New Orleans we left doesn’t belong to us anymore.

Keep reading...Show less

New Orleans Charter Schools Are Punishing Students for Being Poor

When a New Orleans charter school made headlines recently for kicking out two homeless students because they didn’t have the right uniforms, people were shocked. They shouldn’t have been. Suspending poor students for “non-compliance” when they can’t afford to buy the right shoes, pants or sweaters is standard operating procedure in our all-charter-school education system. More than a decade after Hurricane Katrina, poverty in the city is worse than ever, even as rents have doubled during the past decade. Yet students and their parents are routinely punished—even criminalized—just for being poor.

Keep reading...Show less
@2026 - AlterNet Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. - "Poynter" fonts provided by fontsempire.com.