civil rights

Trump admin won't call Klansman who murdered civil rights leader a 'racist'

Mississippi Today reports that President Donald Trump’s National Park Service (NPS) is replacing visitor brochures from the Medgar & Myrlie Evers Home National Monument, in Jackson, Mississippi.

Among the anticipated changes? No longer calling his murderer a “racist.”

“Edits to the brochure have removed that reference to Byron De La Beckwith, according to NPS officials, who asked not to be named for fear of retribution. Other edits include eliminating the reference to Medgar Evers lying in a pool of blood after being shot,” reports Mississippi Today writer Jerry Mitchell.

In 1963, Beckwith shot civil rights leader Medgar Evers in the back as he stood in the driveway of the Evers family home in northwest Jackson. His children were inside the home awaiting their father at the time of his death, and they saw him bleeding out in the front yard.

The original brochures pulled from the home described Beckwith as “a member of the racist and segregationist White Citizens’ Council.” That council, according to history author Stephanie Rolph, “believed in the natural superiority of the Aryan race.”

“They even went so far as to say that civilizations failed because of racial amalgamation,” Rolph added.

Mississippi Today reports Beckwith also belonged to the nation’s most violent white supremacist group, the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, responsible for at least 10 killings in Mississippi.

“You can’t call Beckwith a racist?” said Jeff Steinberg, founder of Sojourn to the Past, which regularly provides civil rights tours to the home. “If you opened a picture dictionary and turned to the definition for ‘racist,’ you’d probably find a picture of Byron De La Beckwith.”

Mississippi Today reports NPS' decision comes in the wake of Trump’s March 2025 executive order, “Restoring Truth and Sanity to American History,” which accused the Biden administration of a “widespread effort to rewrite our Nation’s history, replacing objective facts with a distorted narrative driven by ideology rather than truth.”

Furthermore, the order demanded the Secretary of the Interior “ensure” that all public monuments and properties within its jurisdiction “do not contain descriptions, depictions, or other content that inappropriately disparage Americans past or living.”

This apparently includes race-based assassins.

Mississippi Today adds that Trump initially hailed Evers, a World War II veteran, as a “great American hero” at the opening of the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum in 2017. But after his 2025 executive order, his U.S. Army removed Evers, and the names of other Black heroes, from a section on the Arlington National Cemetery website that honored non-white Americans who fought in the nation’s wars.

Trump forgets basic facts about world wars and civil rights in latest remarks

President Donald Trump made a series of inaccurate claims in his remarks on Tuesday, conflating World War I and World War II, incorrectly suggesting he spoke with the governor of California on Monday when it was just after midnight Saturday morning, and asserting—contrary to the First Amendment—that protests, even peaceful ones, can be shut down with “heavy force.”

During remarks to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump was asked when he last spoke with California Governor Gavin Newsom. “A day ago,” he said Tuesday afternoon, which was three and a half days after the governor confirmed his phone call. Trump also confirmed the call by sending a screenshot to a Fox News reporter. The screenshot read June 7, 1:23 AM.

“Recently, other countries celebrated the victory of World War I, France was celebrating, really,” Trump told troops at Fort Bragg on Tuesday afternoon. “They were all celebrating. The only one that doesn’t celebrate is the USA and we’re the ones that won the war. Without us, you’d all be speaking German right now. Maybe a little Japanese thrown in. But we won the war.”

RELATED: ‘Doesn’t Even Know Who He’s Talking to’: Newsom Scorches Trump Over Military Deployment

The United States was part of a coalition during both WWI and WWII. Trump was speaking about WWI, but then claimed, “Without us, you’d all be speaking German right now. Maybe a little Japanese.”

That’s a reference to World War II—Japan was on the side of the Allies, with the U.S., in WWI.

Also on Tuesday, Trump declared that anyone caught protesting his controversial military parade on Saturday will be met with “very heavy force,” despite the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution clearly protecting political protests.

READ MORE: ‘Show. Us. The. Plan.’: Pentagon Chief Ripped for Dodging Budget Details in Heated Hearing

“We won the war, and we’re the only country that didn’t celebrate it, and we’re going to be celebrating big on Saturday,” Trump claimed. Veterans Day was initially created as Armistice Day to honor those who died in World War I.

“And if there’s any protestor that wants to come out, they will be met with very big force. By the way, for those people that want to protest, they’re gonna be met with very big force. And I haven’t even heard about a protest, but, you know, this is people that hate our country, but they will be met with very heavy force.”

The First Amendment protects both political speech and the right to “petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

Trump did not state “violent protestors,” or “rioters.” He said “any protestor.”

Watch the videos above or at this link.

READ MORE: ‘Subterfuge’: Noem Push a ‘Prelude’ to Invoking Insurrection Act, Experts Warn

'Extortionate': Legal expert shreds Trump's 'impermissible' war on 'constitutional rights'

President Donald Trump's pattern of exerting strategic pressure on various groups into supporting his agenda by threatening their federal support is blatantly unconstitutional, according to one legal expert.

In a Friday op-ed for the Washington Post, University of Pennsylvania law and philosophy professor Mitchell Berman observed that during the first five months of his second term, Trump has demonstrated a willingness to use everything from federal grants, to security clearances, foreign visas and press credentials as "leverage" to arm-twist American institutions into submission.

Berman alluded to Trump threatening to pull federal funding from public universities that have diversity, equity and inclusion programs, withholding press credentials from media outlets that don't use his preferred name for the Gulf of Mexico and denying security clearances for law firms that represented clients Trump disagrees with politically, among other examples.

READ MORE: Nicolle Wallace reveals what may finally convince Trump to 'back away from the people'

"Different targets, but one common tool: leverage," Berman wrote. "Trump uses federal funds and other government benefits to pressure individuals and institutions into exercising their constitutional rights as he prefers. This is extortionate. And therefore unconstitutional."

In his essay, Berman pointed out that Stephen Miran, who is the chairman of the Trump White House's Council of Economic Advisers, admitted that the president "views tariffs as generating negotiating leverage for making deals," saying that "access to the U.S. consumer market is a privilege that must be earned, not a right." Berman argued that even though federal funding for education and research is also a privilege, Trump is nonetheless taking that same approach to American institutions despite those institutions having explicit rights spelled out in the First, Fifth, Sixth and Tenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution.

"[I]t’s impermissible to withhold benefits for the purpose of shaping or punishing American institutions for exercising the rights they do have — including free speech," Berman said.

"The courts have long recognized that such power requires constitutional limits," he added. "The president may not withhold otherwise available funds, or deny access to government benefits, to make it costly for Americans to exercise their constitutional rights."

READ MORE: Trump says 'there is no tariff' after announcing 50% tariff on major trade partner

Click here to read Berman's full op-ed in the Post (subscription required).

'Could be the last one standing': Trump aims to 'illegally remove' head of bipartisan board

The bipartisan U.S. Commission on Civil Rights (CCR) came into existence when Congress passed the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed it into law.

CCR is presently chaired by Democratic civil rights lawyer Rochelle Mercedes Garza, appointed by then-President Joe Biden in 2023. But according to Politico's Hassan Ali Kanu, Trump is hoping to replace Garza and install a "hand-picked Republican."

The person Trump has in mind, Kanu reports in an article published on April 11, is Peter Kirsanow — described by Kano as "an employment lawyer and conservative commentator."

READ MORE: 'Devastating': Trump admin marks thousands legally 'dead' to stop them from making money

"Kirsanow is an outspoken critic of affirmative action and so-called DEI measures, and he has championed a range of other conservative culture war issues," Kanu observes. "In March, commission officials received a two-sentence e-mail saying the White House was 'de-designating'” the current chair, Rochelle Garza, from her post, and elevating Kirsanow instead. But Garza says Trump's move is illegal."

Replacing Garza with Kirsanow as CCR chair would, Kanu notes, be a "dramatic shift." And it's one Garza is determined to fight.

Garza says she is "prepared to challenge any attempt to illegally remove me as chairwoman.”

Garza told Politico, "This is a way of trying to circumvent our authorizing statute, it's very clear. They've been relentlessly dismantling every single civil rights agency in the federal government, and this could be the last one standing.'

READ MORE: Supreme Court's unanimous decision against Trump reveals an important detail

Read Politico's full article at this link.

Trump says people of faith achieved the 'abolition of civil rights' at the National Prayer Breakfast

At the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, President Donald Trump accidentally delivered one of the most unfortunate botched lines imaginable while praising the contributions of religion to American history.

Keep reading...Show less

America has desegregated in name only

It’s a little-acknowledged reality that housing markets distribute more than mere dwellings. That’s because people’s place in the social order is intimately related to their geographic location generally, and where they live specifically.

Keep reading...Show less

Trump Was 'Pandering to Racist Yahoos': Conservative Writer Explains Why He Changed His Mind and Now Supports NFL Protests

Max Boot, a conservative writer and frequent critic of President Donald Trump, revealed Monday that he's changed his mind on one of the president's pet issues: NFL players protesting during the national anthem.

Keep reading...Show less

RESPECT: Here Are 5 of Aretha Franklin’s Most Important Contributions to Civil Rights

The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, has died at the age of 76. Franklin, who had suffered from pancreatic cancer and other severe health problems, was among the most iconic and influential R&B singers of all time—and during the final days of her life, she was visited by R&B legend Stevie Wonder as well as veteran civil rights activist, the Rev. Jesse Jackson.
Many of Franklin’s hits, from “Chain of Fools” in 1967 to “Think” in 1968 to “Day Dreaming” in 1972, are staples of classic soul. Franklin’s contributions, however, were not only musical, but also, political—and she was an important figure in the civil rights struggles of the 1960s and 1970s.
Here are five of the Queen of Soul’s most important contributions to civil rights and politics in the United States.

1. “Respect” Became a Civil Rights Anthem

Keep reading...Show less

Here's How to Win the Civil Rights Social Justice War

Netroots Nation 2018 was a chance to meet a lot of good people, eat a lot of good food—but also to get a lot of work done, following up directly on my last Sunday essay arguing that we are still in the midst of an ongoing Civil Rights Social Justice War with the powers of White Male Nationalist Neo-Christian/Corporate Supremacy that has waxed and waned since nearly 100 years before the pen met paper on the Declaration of Independence.

Keep reading...Show less

'A Gaping Wound in the Nation’s Psyche': Civil Rights Advocate Calls for Reopening the Michael Brown Shooting Case

Black Lives Matter grew out of the tumult and outrage in Ferguson, Missouri, after the 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot and killed by the police officer Darren Wilson. An investigation into the killing never led to any charges, even as rampant racist abuse was discovered to be endemic in the local police force.

Keep reading...Show less

These 11 Representatives from Civil Rights Organizations Are Now Calling for Pro-Trump California Deputy DA to Be Fired

In San Bernardino County, California east of Los Angeles, Deputy District Attorney Michael Selyem—an ardent supporter of President Donald Trump—has been under paid suspension for racist and misogynist posts attacking African-Americans and Latinos. And the pressure was turned up this week when, on July 25, 11 representatives of civil rights organizations sent a joint letter to Bernardino County DA Mike Ramos calling for Selyem to be fired.

Keep reading...Show less
@2026 - AlterNet Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. - "Poynter" fonts provided by fontsempire.com.