state department

Ex-CIA director slams Trump for turning career public servants into 'politicized robots'

Former CIA director William J. Burns blasted President Donald Trump’s mass firing at the State Department in July and the reduction of international programs.

“It was heartbreaking to see so many of you crossing [the State Department] lobby in tears, … carrying cardboard boxes with family photos and the everyday remains of proud careers in public service," Burns wrote. "After years of hard jobs in hard places — defusing crises, tending alliances, opening markets, and helping Americans in distress — ­you deserved better."

“The work you all did was unknown to many Americans, rarely well understood or well appreciated,” wrote Burns, the author of The Back Channel: A Memoir of American Diplomacy and the Case for Its Renewal. “And under the guise of reform, you all got caught in the crossfire of a retribution campaign — of a war on public service and expertise.”

READ MORE: 'Keeps me up at night': Veterans fear Trump is gunning for another 'Kent State' massacre

“[T]here is a smart way and a dumb way to tackle reform, a humane way and an intentionally traumatizing way,” said Burns. “If this process were truly about sensible reform, crucial experts in technology or China policy in whom our country has invested so much wouldn’t have been pushed out.”

If the firings were truly about reform, he said, it would have addressed not only bloat and in­efficiencies but also their causes, including congressionally mandated budget items. If it were about sensible reform, “you and your families wouldn’t have been treated with gleeful indignity.”

But this was not about reform, said Burns. It was about retribution. “It is about breaking people and breaking institutions by sowing fear and mistrust throughout our government.”

Burns said he has served six presidents: three Republicans and three Democrats, and it was his “duty” to faithfully implement their decisions, even when he didn’t agree with them. Career public servants have an obligation to execute the decisions of elected leaders, which is “essential to any democratic system.”

READ MORE: Aides sat 'helpless' as 'incoherent' Trump displayed 'stunning ignorance': biographer

But what Trump was doing was “hammering professional public servants into politicized robots.”

“That’s what autocrats do. They cow public servants into submission — and in doing so, they create a closed system that is free of opposing views and inconvenient concerns,” said Burns, adding that Russian leader Vladimir Putin’s “foolish decision to invade Ukraine” was a classic example of policy making without peer review.

“Putin … relied on a handful of long-serving advisers who either shared his flawed assumptions about Ukraine’s ability to resist and the West’s willingness to support it, or had learned a long time ago that it was not career-enhancing to question Putin’s judgment. The results, especially in the first year of the war, were catastrophic for Russia,” said Burns, explaining that Trump was now engaging in his own “strategic self-immolation” by dismantling USAID, Voice of America, and by flushing “50 percent” of the State Department’s budget.

“If intelligence analysts at the CIA saw our rivals engage in this kind of great-power suicide, we would break out the bourbon,” Burns writes. “Instead, the sound we hear is of champagne glasses clinking in the Kremlin and Zhongnanhai.”

READ MORE: Trump official demands 'severe punishment' for journalists over Washington Post report

Read the full Atlantic report at this link.

Trump gives big promotion to 'dangerous' official who said 'white men must be in charge'

One official in President Donald Trump's administration just got a new job heading up a congressionally funded organization that Trump previously tried to eliminate.

According to a Friday report in Politico, Darren Beattie — who is currently the acting undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs in the U.S. State Department — has been named as the acting president of the U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP). Beattie was a speechwriter in Trump's first administration who was eventually fired after speaking at a white nationalist conference.

In a statement, the State Department said that Beattie will be serving a dual role in the administration, maintaining his role at the State Department while also heading the USIP. The Department stated that it "look[s] forward to seeing [Beattie] advance President Trump’s America First agenda in this new role."

READ MORE: 'Critical': 14 GOP senators call on Trump to stop withholding money for their states

In 2016, Beattie spoke at the H.L. Mencken Club's annual conference (named for the late 19th and early 20th century writer who harbored racist views and railed against democracy) alongside white nationalist activist Peter Brimelow. Brimelow is the founder of the website VDare, which has been designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group. And in 2024, he posted to social media: "competent white men must be in charge if you want things to work."

Beattie's initial hiring at the State Department alarmed multiple lawmakers. In March, 44 Democratic members of the House of Representatives co-signed a letter to Secretary of State Marco Rubio urging him to fire Beattie, saying his "racist" viewpoints made him "actively dangerous." They cited examples of him heaping praise on China's and Russia's authoritarian governments as "superior to American democracy," and lauded Xi Jinping's regime as one that doesn't "coddle violent third world trash."

Similar to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (which Trump also recently defunded with the help of Republicans in Congress), the USIP is an independent organization that receives congressional appropriations. According to its 2023 IRS form, Its most recent president was paid more than $365,000 in total annual compensation. Assuming Beattie is keeping his State Department undersecretary salary of roughly $165,000, he could be reaping a taxpayer-funded salary in excess of $500,000 per year.

Earlier this year, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk's Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) attempted to zero out the USIP's budget and seize its building. However, a federal judge in May ordered all of the USIP's assets be returned to the organization, ruling that DOGE's actions were illegal. Established in 1984 by the late former President Ronald Reagan, the USIP is dedicated to training people in diplomacy and mediation to de-escalate international conflict. Its 15-member board includes the secretaries of state and defense as well as the president of the National Defense University. The other remaining 12 board members are presidential appointees confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

READ MORE: 'Stay out of it': Former Texas Republican lawmaker blasts Trump's effort to 'rig' midterms

Read Politico's full report by clicking here (subscription required).

'But you're the spokeswoman for the State Department!' CNN host corners Trump official

When asked if Secretary of State Marco Rubio has spoken recently with El Salvador President Nayib Bukele, State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce refused to comment on "what world leaders the secretary speaks to."

"He speaks to multiple world leaders working on the case," she told CNN's Kasie Hunt during an appearance on the channel Monday.

Hunt pressed Bruce, asking if Rubio was still working on the case of Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Maryland man who was deported to El Salvador.

ALSO READ: 'New Tiffany Trump': Marco Rubio mocked after being given yet another White House role

"I'm not going to speak to his work. I'm not going to speak to the nature of the work," she said.

"But you're the spokeswoman for the State Department," the host said.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean I'm the gossiper for the State Department," Bruce responded. "I'm telling you the nature of what it is that I can speak to, and it does not include the day-to-day operations or choices the secretary of state makes."

Earlier, the spokesperson avoided another question Hunt asked about Rubio's ability to serve as Secretary of State and the interim National Security Advisor at the same time. "What is he delegating considering his workload is now at least twice what it was?" the host asked.

READ MORE: Why MAGA is questioning Marco Rubio's loyalty to Trump

"Well, what I can tell you is that I can't get into the details of the choices the secretary makes on a on a moment-by-moment basis, but clearly, the president and the secretary have a very good relationship. They know each other," she said.

"He has been very excited about the trust that the president has placed in him in general, and he's also not someone who's going to do something that if he thinks he can't do it," Bruce said of Rubio.

On Sunday, Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) told CNN's Jake Tapper that it is "too much" for Secretary of State Marco Rubio to serve as interim National Security Adviser at the same time. “I don't know how anybody could do these two big jobs," he said.

On Thursday, Rubio was appointed as the interim National Security Advisor after President Donald Trump removed Mike Waltz from the role.

Watch the video below or at this link.


- YouTubewww.youtube.com

Rex Tillerson just detailed Trump's stunning incapacity to do his job - and says he issued directives that violate the law

Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson — who was humiliatingly fired by President Donald Trump over Twitter — issued damning comments Thursday night about the commander-in-chief's leadership and capacity to do the job.

Keep reading...Show less

Damning New Report Details How Trump's State Department Has Made the World Worse for Women and LGBTQ People

On Thursday, Oxfam America released a damning report on the State Department's coverage of human rights abuses under President Donald Trump.

Keep reading...Show less

Trump Administration Borrows a Cruel Page from His Past: Questioning Citizens' Birth Certificates

President Donald Trump's harmful and clearly racist obsession with enforcing draconian immigration restrictions has taken another pernicious turn and appears to be targeting hundreds of Hispanic Americans who live near the U.S.-Mexico border, according to a new report from the Washington Post.

Keep reading...Show less

'Banana Republic Behavior': Ex-Secretary of State John Kerry Says Trump Is Turning the U.S. into the Kind of Country We Warn Americans to Avoid

Former Secretary of State John Kerry reacted in horror Wednesday to President Donald Trump's decision to strip ex-CIA Director John Brennan of his security clearance in an apparent attempt to punish a critic of his administration.

Keep reading...Show less

'It's Like The Truman Show': Government Officials Are Reportedly Ignoring Trump's Twitter Demands Because He Still Doesn't Know How to Be President

After more than a year and a half in office, you might have guessed Donald Trump would have figured out this whole "president" thing. But you'd be wrong.

Keep reading...Show less

This Stunning Exchange Between Secretary Pompeo and a GOP Senator Reveals Just How Subservient Trump's Appointees Are

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) attempted to complement U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and the interaction revealed a disturbing dynamic in President Donald Trump's White House.

Keep reading...Show less

'Humiliated and Empty-Handed': Conservative Writer Blasts Trump's Utter Failure at North Korean Diplomacy

President Donald Trump's diplomatic efforts with North Korea are turning out even worse than many critics had expected.

Keep reading...Show less
@2026 - AlterNet Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. - "Poynter" fonts provided by fontsempire.com.