Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) was blasted on social media on Saturday over his stance on DC statehood.
"Sen. Joe Manchin III told reporters in his home state of West Virginia on Friday morning that he does not support the bill to make D.C. the nation's 51st state, according to audio provided by the Democrat's office and a report from WVNews. Manchin, a key swing vote in the closely divided Senate, said he believes a constitutional amendment, rather than legislation, would be required to admit D.C. as a state. His stance deals a major blow to statehood advocates who were hoping for his support after the bill passed the House last week," The Washington Post reported Friday.
Manchin believes that a Constitutional Amendment is required for DC statehood, a position that did not go over well online. Here's some of what people were saying:
In fact, one user posted a thread comparing Manchin to garbage cans:
- Joe Biden just unleashed a quiet revolution in American politics ... ›
- House Democrat stands defiant after drawing heat for blasting Tom ... ›
- Joe Manchin's latest op-ed shows he has no idea what he's talking ... ›
- 'Joe Manchin is the worst': Critics pile on senator after he declares opposition to DC statehood bill - Alternet.org ›
- Activists push Michigan Sen. Gary Peters to 'make history' by holding a hearing on DC statehood - Alternet.org ›
- Robert Kennedy's daughter explains how opponents of DC statehood are 'distorting' his words - Alternet.org ›