ISIL Claims Credit for Brussels Attack Which Has Killed at Least 30 and Injured Scores

Brussels has been braced for such an attack for months.

According to CNN as well as other news sources, ISIL has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Brussels.


ISIS claimed to strike yet again on European soil Tuesday, saying its "fighters" launched attacks on the airport and a subway station in Belgium's capital that killed at least 30 people and wounded about 230 more.

While jarring, the carnage wasn't altogether surprising. Belgium has been going after terrorist threats for months, as illustrated by last week's capture of Europe's most wanted man, Salah Abdeslam, in a bloody raid in Brussels.


A Belgian government representative told CNN that 20 people died at the Maelbeek metro station and 130 were wounded, plus 10 more were killed and 100 wounded at Brussels' international airport.

The "working assumption" is that the attackers came from the same network behind November's massacres in Paris, which left 130 dead, Belgian security sources said, while cautioning it is very early in the latest investigation.

Belgian authorities have also reportedly shared photos of the suspected attackers with U.S. authorities. One attacker is reportedly dead in the suicide bombing at the airport. At least two attackers may be still at large, according to reports. 


Sign Up!
Get AlterNet's Daily Newsletter in Your Inbox
+ sign up for additional lists
Select additional lists by selecting the checkboxes below before clicking Subscribe:
Election 2018