News & Politics

Bloody, Strapped to Chair, Video Shows Police Tasering Matthew Ajibade in the Testicles Before Death

Torture is not something that happens only far away in Abu Ghraib.

Bloody, strapped to chair, video shows police tasering Matthew Ajibade in the testicles before death.
Photo Credit: screenshot via NBC News

It is now abundantly clear that Matthew Ajibade was murdered by police in Savannah, Georgia. For over 10 months, police and prosecutors have concealed the video evidence of his murder not only from the public, but from Ajibade's closest friends and family members. His death in police custody was ruled a homicide by coroners, but the whole of Savannah's government has colluded in covering up a sadistic and brutal murder of a beloved artist and photographer who was a student at Savannah College of Art and Design.

The video below is awful and is confirmation that the United States tortures and kills its prisoners on American soil. Torture is not something that happens far away in Abu Ghraib, it's happening here. In case you can't stomach the video, allow me to explain what happens.

On New Year's Day of this year, Matthew Ajibade was arrested after a mental health crisis. Instead of being taken to a hospital, Ajibade, who was otherwise in perfect physical condition, was taken to the jail against his family's wishes. In a video we received last week, police are seen punching and kicking Ajibade in the face and head before restraining him.

Now, after Ajibade was stripped of his clothes and handcuffed to a restraining chair, we see the worst. The police Taser has a camera attached to it that is automatically triggered when the device is turned on.

Strapped to the chair after already being beaten and Tasered multiple times, we see a red light, the target of the Taser, pointed at Ajibade's groin. The audio from the Taser camera is distorted, but we see little to no movement from Ajibade. As the camera gets closer to his genitals, it is deployed. You hear the awful shock of the Taser, followed by screams. The video then ends; perhaps as the Taser is turned off, but we don't know.

Matthew Ajibade died in his cell, strapped to this restraining chair, soon after being Tasered here. The timestamp on the video states that it is 4:45AM on the morning of January 2. Police claimed they found Ajibade "unresponsive" in his jail cell at 1:38am.

Nobody was charged with Ajibade's murder and we now see that they concealed this video because they knew we'd call for such charges if we ever saw it.

Shaun King is a member of the DailyKos contributor community. 

Sign Up!
Get AlterNet's Daily Newsletter in Your Inbox
+ sign up for additional lists
Select additional lists by selecting the checkboxes below before clicking Subscribe:
Election 2018