Sure, it’s easy enough to find out which states aren’t cannabis legal, even for medical, but which of these “dry” states have the most severe penalties for getting caught with the herb? Here’s the breakdown:
1. South Dakota is the worst state to get caught even buzzed in. The tiniest bit of pot will land one in jail for a year and cost $2,000 in fines. Wait though, if you have hash or concentrates? Then you’re looking at closer to five years in prison and fines up to $10,000. And possession what? Even if you test positive for marijuana, you face the same penalties.
- Related Story: The Relationship Between Mental Health and Marijuana
2. Louisiana is known for its strict rules regarding possession, but it also has some of the most severe consequences for growing the plant. ANY cultivation under 60 pounds, including ONE plant, will lead to five to 30 years in prison plus or instead a $50,000 fine.
3. Indiana is almost as over the top as Louisiana when it comes to crime and punishment. One joint carries a $1,000 fine and a year in prison. Imagine what an ounce might entail…
4. Idaho’s a tricky one, because possession of up to three ounces is considered a misdemeanor that carries a $1,000 fine and up to a year in prison. That only covers possession though. Paraphernalia has the same penalties and public intoxication will get you another six months in prison. Hmm, a misdemeanor huh?
5. Iowa is harsh when it comes to first time offenders. If it’s your first time getting caught with a joint or a little cannabis, it’s punishable with up to six months in jail and $1,000 fine. The ACLU calls Iowa’s policy one of the harshest in the country for first timers.
6. Georgia has lax laws on small amounts, but do not get caught with over two ounces. Two ounces is the sweet spot for law enforcement and will earn you a prison term of up to ten years.
7. Arizona legalized medical marijuana, but if you don’t have a prescription, watch out. Even the smallest amount of pot, any amount at all, is a felony and one could face anywhere from four months to two years in jail for a joint.
Happy road tripping and/or simply living to all our friends out there, just keep in mind when to carry and when to lay low… Your freedom will thank you.