'Oh God no': Twitter fiercely rejects GOP House candidate's vow to 'make the country more like Florida'
A Republican candidate for the United States House of Representatives is being trolled on Twitter for vowing to turn the nation into a bigger version of his home state if he is elected in November.
"I’m running for Congress to make the country more like Florida," State Representative Anthony Sabatini (32nd District) wrote on Friday morning.
I\u2019m running for Congress to make the country more like Florida— Rep. Anthony Sabatini (@Rep. Anthony Sabatini) 1650627749
Sabatini is running for an open seat in Florida's 7th Congressional District, whose incumbent Democratic Representative Stephanie Murphy is not seeking reelection. Two Democrats, meanwhile, are vying for their party's nomination.
Sabatini's claims to fame include but are not limited to:
- filling a lawsuit against public mask mandates, claiming that they were unconstitutional, while COVID-19 was surging in 2020
- drafting a petition to rename Florida's longest highway – Route 27 – after former President Donald Trump
- getting removed from the Florida House's Children, Families, and Seniors Subcommittee for failing to show up to meetings
- being named the "worst person in the Florida Legislature" in a newspaper editorial
- having his fellow Republicans nickname him "Tiniweenisabatini" and the "antithesis of what our founders envisioned as a citizen statesperson" over his "low level of contribution to legislating" and habitual hurling of insults at other lawmakers.
Sabatini, an ex-Democrat who espouses fealty to Trump's Big Lie, also proposed a bill last September demanding an audit of Florida's 2020 election results. It was immediately rejected.
So was his pledge to force Florida onto the rest of us.
Nobody wants that! Nobody!— \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6My_Patience-Is_thin\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6 (@\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6My_Patience-Is_thin\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6) 1650628049
good luck with that;\nyou'll need it.— C.W.\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6 (@C.W.\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\udde6) 1650628675
Oh fuck no.— \ud83d\udc51 King of the Internets \ud83d\udc51 (@\ud83d\udc51 King of the Internets \ud83d\udc51) 1650630239
I don't think this is the winning campaign slogan you think it is.— Nairbnosral (@Nairbnosral) 1650637080
Nobody wants the country to turn into Deplorida. Bless your heart lol— Animal Lover (@Animal Lover) 1650630482
- Republicans in Arizona and Florida approve draconian abortion ... ›
- CNN host brilliantly debunks a Florida Republican on an anti-mask ... ›
- How Republican racism and misogyny could be on full display as ... ›