Trump's new 'chilling' statement about the election and Jan. 6 disturbs many observers
Donald Trump, the twice-impeached former president, on Thursday issued what is being called a "chilling" statement on the election and the insurrection he incited.
"The insurrection took place on November 3, Election Day. January 6 was the Protest!" Trump said in a statement released Thursday afternoon.
Former Republican Congressman Joe Walsh simply and clearly calls it an "act of war."
This statement is an act of war against America. ANY Republican who does not publicly rebuke this statement must be… https://t.co/036qXi5n7E— Joe Walsh (@Joe Walsh) 1634831382.0
U.S. Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA) during debate on the House floor has "repeatedly" been "calling on Republicans to denounce the Trump statement," according to reporter Jamie Dupree.
"All my colleagues were elected on November 3," McGovern said. "If you believe that Election Day was an insurrection, then your election results are illegitimate."
McGovern is not the only one to blast the Trump statement:
In debate on the January 6 investigation today on the House floor, Democrats are repeatedly bringing up this new st… https://t.co/161Ct46pqz— Jamie Dupree (@Jamie Dupree) 1634837164.0
Some journalists are also slamming the former president's latest remarks.
S.V. Dáte, the White House correspondent at HuffPost weighed in, saying, "Donald Trump tried to overthrow American democracy after he lost his election by 7 million votes, but nearly a year later, he's still lying. About all of it."
Washington Post national political reporter Felicia Sonmez called it a "chilling statement … that makes clear his stance on peaceful democracy vs. violent insurrection."
Washington Post White House bureau chief Ashley Parker pointed to the statement and said: "In which Trump's shamelessness continues to be his political super power."
ProPublica Senior Reporter Peter Elkind says: "This is the position of the widely embraced leader of the GOP. Republicans all behind that?"
A former president of the United States who took an oath to uphold the US Constitution: "The insurrection took plac… https://t.co/4sPD6X1hXM— Priscilla Huff (@Priscilla Huff) 1634835937.0
- New report exposes more details Jim Jordan held back about Trump ... ›
- Flustered Jim Jordan just can't seem to remember when or how ... ›
- 'Doomed to fail': Legal experts slam Trump's lawsuit against Jan. 6 ... ›
- Pro-Trump activists reveal Republican elected officials who participated in planning of Jan. 6 rallies: report - Alternet.org ›
- 'Call your lawyer': Legal experts weigh in on bombshell report naming Republicans involved in Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›
- 'This makes my blood boil': Outrage erupts as new report links GOP lawmakers to the Jan. 6 rally - Alternet.org ›
- Trump pleads with judge to 'slow down' Jan. 6 probe — falsely claiming the FBI ruled out 'coordination' - Alternet.org ›
- 'Plaintiff is not President': Judge shoots down Trump's efforts to keep records from Jan. 6 committee - Alternet.org ›
- These are the documents Donald Trump doesn’t want the House Jan. 6 panel to see: report - Alternet.org ›
- The evidence we have now about the blueprint for Trump’s coup attempt is utterly damning - Alternet.org ›
- ‘Something is just not right’: Reporter expresses deep concern about Trump's reflections on Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›
- Leaked text messages show Women for America First was coordinating with Trump's White House for Jan 6: report - Alternet.org ›
- Key Jan. 6 organizer to comply with Capitol riot subpoena: 'I don't want to go to jail' - Alternet.org ›
- Intel officials 'struggled' to brief 'fact-free' Donald Trump during the 2016/2017 'transition': CIA - Alternet.org ›
- New report says 'evidence is mounting' for a disturbing reason the National Guard failed to act on Jan. 6 - Alternet.org ›
- January 6th committee seeks potentially damning Trump video made during 'hours of silence' during riot - Alternet.org ›
- Witness: Donald Trump watched the attack on the Capitol from the White House - Alternet.org ›
- 'A platform to spread lies': Media watchdogs warn networks against uncritical airing of Trump’s Jan. 6 event - Alternet.org ›
- Trump suspected of possible 'witness tampering' in January 6 attack probe: report - Alternet.org ›