Former US secretary of state Colin Powell remembered by those who knew him
Colin Powell, the first Black U.S. Secretary of State, died Monday morning of complications from COVID-19. The former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was 84. His family in a statement said he was fully vaccinated.
Powell served under both Republican and Democratic Presidents, including serving as United States National Security Advisor to President Ronald Reagan.
News of his death has shocked the nation, with many who knew him sharing their memories of the highly-respected diplomat and military leader.
In the end, Colin Powell was a man who slowly evolved over his 84 years on earth. He was a Black Republican who ul… https://t.co/kt6vSyGpNg— Keith Boykin (@Keith Boykin) 1634561128.0
And for those who don’t know or remember him, General Colin Powell was, perhaps, the most respected Black person in… https://t.co/cXCWTQaG7P— Keith Boykin (@Keith Boykin) 1634561959.0
My deepest condolences to the entire Powell family on the passing of Colin Powell. A great American whose selflessn… https://t.co/QSxSXBfKXN— Aaron David Miller (@Aaron David Miller) 1634560969.0
Statement from former President George W. Bush on the passing of Sec. Colin Powell https://t.co/ilPWTvlA1L— Geoff Bennett (@Geoff Bennett) 1634560704.0
On a personal note, he was always kind, generous with his time and insights and a great example to me of what is be… https://t.co/YWYlDPlMF6— David Rothkopf (@David Rothkopf) 1634559835.0
Colin Powell was the North Star to a generation of senior American military officers including me. First call I ma… https://t.co/i0hjlKJvEr— stavridisj (@stavridisj) 1634561160.0
- Roger Stone interrupted during radio interview to get served papers ... ›
- Ex-Trump FDA spokesperson slammed as 'unvaccinated ghoul' for ... ›
- Ex-Colin Powell chief of staff says Michael Flynn should face court ... ›
- 'Pig' Donald Trump slammed after complaining Colin Powell is being treated 'so beautifully’ in death - Alternet.org ›
- How Colin Powell paved the way for Trump - Alternet.org ›
- Secretaries of State detail how their lives have changed from violent threats and harassment thanks to Trump's 'big lie' - Alternet.org ›