Trump administration backs down after outrage over deporting sick migrants shames it into submission

Trump administration backs down after outrage over deporting sick migrants shames it into submission

Under widespread public backlash, the Trump administration has backed down from its disgusting attack on immigrants undergoing lifesaving medical treatment, confirming Thursday that officials “will resume considering ‘deferred action’ requests on a discretionary, case-by-case basis, as it had done for years prior,” The Washington Post reported.


Jonathan Sanchez and Maria Isabel Bueso were among the brave immigrants who stepped forward to say that if U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services continued with its plan to end medical deferred action for them and others, their deportations would mean certain death. "I came here legally and have been a legal resident for 16 years," Bueso told legislators at a House hearing last week. "The medical treatment I need is not available in Guatemala. If I'm sent back, I will die.”

Trump officials had partially backed down the week prior, saying that they would consider cases that had been pending as of August 7, but leaving the future requests—and the future of the program itself—unclear. Following the news that medical deferred action will continue, Bueso said that “while we have not received any official confirmation that our deferred action case will be approved, we are cautiously optimistic about this news.”

None of this should have happened in the first place, and while the program stays thanks to activism, there should be ongoing attention on the outcome of individual requests, and House Democrats say they’ll continue to stay on the issue. “Because of the secrecy and obstruction surrounding this policy,” said House Oversight and Reform Committee chair Elijah Cummings, “we will be taking additional steps to verify that these children and their families do not need to live in fear and uncertainty.”

Rep. Ayanna Pressley issued a statement in solidarity with the people who bravely stepped forward to put a face on the human costs of the administration’s barbaric move. “This is for Jonathan Sanchez … this is for Maria Isabel Bueso … this is for Serena Badia … this is for all of the children and families who have been dehumanized by this cruel administration,” she said. “When we fight, we win.”

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. AlterNet’s journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. We’re here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And we’re proud to say that we’ve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 years—longer than any other progressive news site on the Internet.

It’s through the generosity of our supporters that we’re able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone can’t pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

Close