Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday placed blame for a terrorist attack at a parade in southwestern Iran on a U.S.-backed Persian Gulf state, and said he planned to "confront" the U.S. over tensions between the two countries at the upcoming United Nations General Assembly this week in New York.
The attack took place Saturday at an annual event in Ahvaz, killing at least 29 people,including several civilians, and injuring nearly 70 others. ISIS and a separatist group with Saudi connections, the Ahvaz National Resistance, both claimed responsibility for the attack, in which attackers disguised as soldiers opened fire at a military parade. But Rouhani suggested one of the United States' allies in the region, including Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates (UAE), had been involved.
"It is Americans who instigate them and provide them with necessary means to commit these crimes," Rouhani said of the countries he was accusing.
Following the attack, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif also held regional U.S. allies responsible in a statement on Twitter.
Terrorists recruited, trained, armed & paid by a foreign regime have attacked Ahvaz. Children and journos among casualties. Iran holds regional terror sponsors and their US masters accountable for such attacks. Iran will respond swiftly and decisively in defense of Iranian lives. pic.twitter.com/WG1J1wgVD9
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) September 22, 2018
The attack came four months after President Donald Trump withdrew from the 2015 Iranian nuclear deal, against the advice of the international community and the wishes of 63 percent of the American public. He also announced that he would reimpose sanctions on the country, which have resulted in higher prices for medications and other goods,
"America is acting like a bully toward the rest of the world…and thinks it can act based on brute force," Rouhani told reporters just before leaving Iran for the U.N. meeting in New York. "But our people will resist and the government is ready to confront America. We will overcome this situation and America will regret choosing the wrong path."
Trita Parsi, president emeritus of the National Iranian American Council, posited that Iran's accusations are "difficult to dismiss."
"John Bolton, the national security adviser, penned a memo last August in which he specifically said the U.S. should be providing assistance to the Khuzestan Arabs, the group that this entity claims to represent, the entity that perpetrated this terrorist attack," Parsi told CNN. "You have the Saudi Crown Prince saying that he's going to take the fight inside of Iran, you have the advisor to the UAE Crown Prince today on Twitter saying that this was not a terrorist attack, that this was declared policy…mindful of that picture, it is not completely inconceivable that Iranians are going to be looking to Saudi Arabia and potentially the U.S. as being behind these attacks."
— Trita Parsi (@tparsi) September 23, 2018
Parsi also criticized many in the corporate media for calling the incident a "military parade attack" instead of a terror attack that killed numerous civilians.
The Al Qaeda attack on USS Cole was reported as a terrorist attack by the media. The USS Cole is a warship.
The #Ahvaz terror attack, however, is broadly reported as a "gun attack on a military parade," despite the civilians deaths.
Inconsistency or malicious double standard?
— Trita Parsi (@tparsi) September 23, 2018
Enjoy this piece?
… then let us make a small request. AlterNet’s journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. We’re here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And we’re proud to say that we’ve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 years—longer than any other progressive news site on the Internet.
It’s through the generosity of our supporters that we’re able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone can’t pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.