GOP Congressman Says Trump Is Being 'Manipulated' By Putin - But He Offers a Pathetic Solution
Republican Rep. Will Hurd hasn’t been afraid to criticize the leader of his party in the past, but he took a bold step Thursday when he published an op-ed in the New York Times declaring that Russian President Vladimir is manipulating President Donald Trump.
“Over the course of my career as an undercover officer in the C.I.A., I saw Russian intelligence manipulate many people,” he writes. “I never thought I would see the day when an American president would be one of them.”
It’s a brazen claim to make about the president, especially a president from a lawmaker’s own party — even if, as he has, Trump continued to demonstrate his fealty to Putin before the entire world. So Hurd should get some credit for that.
But while he goes on to say that “lawmakers must fulfill our oversight duty,” Hurd makes very limited steps in that direction.
Hurd could, for example:
- Call for hearings on Trump’s meeting with Putin
- Call for investigations into Trump’s corrupt business dealings
- Demand that the president release his tax returns
- Support legislation to protect the Mueller investigation
- Condemn his GOP colleagues who are trying to obstruct the investigation
- Ask Trump to step down due to complete ineptness
Instead, the only concrete ask Hurd puts in the op-ed is for passage of an intelligence funding bill. It’s not at all clear how that addresses the problem of the president being manipulated by a foreign power.
Even when Republicans see the truth about the president clearly, they appear to be unable to grasp the actual solutions to the problem. This cowardice is damaging the country.