Archbishop of Washington D.C. Removed From Ministry over 'Credible And Substantiated' Allegations of Sexual Abuse Against A Teen
Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the archbishop emeritus of Washington D.C., was removed from his post after a “credible and substantiated” allegation of sexual abuse against a teenager surfaced, according to a statement released Wednesday. The abuse reportedly took place 50 years ago.
McCarrick said he advised Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, “that an allegation of sexual abuse of a teenager from almost fifty years ago had been made against” him.
According to McCormick he “considered it essential that the charges be reported to the police, thorously investigated by an independent agency and give to the Review Board of the Archdiocese of New York.”
Though he maintains his innocence, the allegations against McCarrick were “determined credible and substantiated,” according to the statement. “In obedience I accept the decision of The Holy See, that I no longer exercise any public ministry,” he said.
He adds he has "no recollection" of the allegations and believes in his innocence, but nonethless apologized for the reported abuse.
Read his full statement below:
BREAKING: Cardinal McCarrick, archbishop emeritus of Washington DC, removed from public ministry after credible acc… https://t.co/vwqhZSScyR— Tony Aiello (@Tony Aiello)1529496962.0