Take the Inaugural Pledge
To inaugurate a healthy, productive attitude to get yourself through these dark times, consider marking the incoming regime by signing (and liking and sharing) this pledge.
Since Republican leaders have supplied mountains of consistent evidence that they will say and do anything to grab anything at anyone's expense, I hereby declare that I will no longer:
- Give them the benefit of the doubt.
- Believe a word they say.
- Enable them by listening and responding to them as though they care about being reasonable, principled or moral.
- Act shocked, fretful or dismayed as though I’m still discovering that they don’t care.
- Give an inch as though I expect them to reciprocate.
Instead I will:
- Assume that they’re just some of those folk who have always been around, pathological climbers who amass power and money for its own sake with no higher aim in mind, no plans to use that power and money for anything other than getting more power and money.
- Treat it as obvious and common knowledge, not insisting on it any more than I insist that rain is wet, thereby putting the burden of proof on anyone who disagrees.
- Calmly stick to my guns, reminding their defenders that debate isn’t won by insistence, rhetoric or conviction but by consequences. Time will tell who was right about Republican fanaticism.
- Remain unimpressed by the Republican rhetorical skills. Anyone can dumb down rationalizations that would convince the gullible and desperate. Not everyone would.
- Remember that there is innocent evil in this world. It’s nothing personal. It takes all kinds. Con artists and the dupes who love them are doing the best they can though with the worst possible outcomes.
- Turn my attention to strategic thinking and action to get the foxes out of the henhouse ASAP.
- Sleep well, do good work, enjoy life, and be grateful I’m not a pathological climber, and get out of the way while the gullible learn their lesson the hard way.