Donald Trump's Walk of Fame Star Destroyed
Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame has already taken a few hits from people who’ve been disappointed by his bigotry-promoting presidential campaign. Earlier this year, someone defaced the star by covering it with a spray-painted swastika. Another person sent an unsubtle request for Trump to shut up by drawing a mute sign across it. And most recently, a Los Angeles street artist installed a tiny wall, complete with barbed wire, along its borders.
In the wee hours of Wednesday morning, Deadline Hollywood reports, a man named Jamie Otis destroyed the thing altogether.
Otis reportedly told the outfit that, “he originally intended to remove Trump’s star completely to auction it off next month in New York to raise funds for the women who have recently come forward to accuse Trump of sexually assaulting them over the decades.” Unfortunately, the star didn’t succumb to Otis’ pickaxe, and was “smashed into” lots of little pieces instead of being successfully extracted intact.
Video of the whole thing is below:
Otis may be in a bit of trouble for his vandalism. Buzzfeed News received a statement from Leron Gubler, the president and CEO of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, who indicated the organization “intends to prosecute to the full extent of the law.”
“The Hollywood Walk of Fame is an institution celebrating the positive contributions of the inductees,” Gubler told the outlet. “When people are unhappy with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California State landmark. Our democracy is based on respect for the law. People can make a difference by voting and not destroying public property.”
He added that Trump’s star will be “repaired immediately, but requires several days of seasoning before it is polished. During that time, it will be covered to protect it.”