Teenage Sexual Assault Survivor in Notorious St. Paul's Case Sheds Anonymity, Reveals Big Plans
When 19-year-old Owen Labrie was acquitted of three felony rape charges in the notorious St. Paul’s prep school case last year, his accuser, Chessy Prout was devastated. While the case attracted national attention at the time, Prout had remained anonymous until this week. Joined with her parents and sister, Prout spoke with NBC's Today this week about what happened after the school dismissed the family's civil lawsuit.
"We have been talking a lot about a Woman's Bill of Rights and I decided I want other people's input. I want other people to feel empowered, and just strong enough to be able to say, I have the right to my body, I have the right to say no, and I wanted to bring this initiative that would be a hashtag #Ihavetherightto, and to have people contribute to it," Chessy Prout told Today.
Prout has been working with the non-profit Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment (PAVE) to raise awareness and accomplish her goal. Its new site "I Have the Right To" launched Tuesday, following Prout's interview.
Prout also spoke of Labrie, who is now out of jail.
“I hope he learns,” Prout said, adding, "that's all I can ever hope for in any sort of process like this, because if he doesn't learn, he will do it to another young woman."
Watch Chessy Prout's full interview:
Watch PAVE'S New PSA: