5 Reasons Why Even Charlie Hebdo Wants Nothing to Do With Islamaphobe Pamela Geller
Following the Garland shooting last week, anti-Islam activist Pamela Geller has been in the media portraying herself as an advocate of free speech and tolerance. But even the French satirical magazine Charlie Hedbo, which has long pushed the limits of speech with its crude satirical drawings mocking Muhammed, among other topics, is distancing itself, saying that she is “obsessed with Islam.”
Here are five reasons why Geller isn't just another free speech activist ,and why even biting political satirists want nothing to do with her:
- She Wants To Ban All Muslim Immigration: Geller's organization the American Freedom Defense Initiative has published a platform that, among other things, “calls for an immediate halt of immigration by Muslims into nations that do not currently have a Muslim majority population.”
- She Rationalized Norwegian Terrorist Anders Breivik's Violence: After Norway's terror attack, it was discovered that the attacker was a fan of Geller's work. She herself sought to rationalize his violence, posting a picture of a youth camp in Norway and writing that “the faces...are more MIddle [sic] Eastern or mixed that pure Norwegian” – recall that Breivik's greatest grievance was that his country was letting in too many Muslim immigrants.
- She Said Building A Mosque In New York City Was Like Another 9/11 Attack: “The Ground Zero Mosque is the second wave of the 9/11 attack,” she provocatively claimed.
- She Has A Bizarre Theory Of Who Obama's Parents Really Are: Geller has speculated that President Obama's true father is Malcolm X.
- She Has Launched A Bitter Campaign To Divide American Jews And Muslims: For years, Geller has paid for bus ad campaigns claiming that Muslims are ordered by their faith to kill Jews. This year, the ads drew so much fire that New York City announced that it would be disallowing all political ads in the future.
Geller has a right to her own free, deeply offensive and divisive speech, but it should be clear that she is not really a believer in freedom for others, particularly if they are Muslim.