Shocking Video: Homeless Man Throwing Rocks Killed by Hail of Police Bullets

Police in Washington state said they were forced to kill a man who was armed with rocks, but witnesses claim the suspect was trying to run away.

The Bellingham Herald reported that “more than a dozen witnesses” watched Pasco police officers confront a man outside Vinny’s Bakery and Cafe on Tuesday. The man was observed throwing a rock at a passing vehicle before police arrived.

According to the witnesses, the suspect was holding a rock, and appeared to threaten officers. 

Ben Patrick said that he was just yards away when he saw officers try to shock the man with their Tasers. “The guy was trying to pull the Taser [prongs] out of his arm,” Patrick said.

Cellphone video posted to YouTube shows the man confronting police before the officers fire three shots and then begin chasing the suspect. The officers appear to corner the man in the blurry video, and about 10 more shots are fired.

“It was just a rock!” one of the witnesses yells at the officers.

In the video, a motionless body can be seen lying next to a building with officers standing over it.

“He’s already dead!” a witness says, as the officers handcuff the suspect.

Patrick told the Bellingham Herald that the man’s back was turned to officers when he was shot to death. “I really thought they were just going walk up and tackle or tase him,” he explained. “But they opened fire. His back was turned.”

Patrick’s wife, Shannon, witnessed the shooting, and told a similar story. “He turned around to take off running and the cops just shot him,” she said. “All he was trying to do was walk away.”

But police spokesperson Capt. Ken Roske insisted in a statement that the officers were forced to open fire because they had been threatened.

“He [didn’t] comply with their commands as far as we know right now,” Roske said.

In at statement released later in the evening, the Pasco Police Department said that “officers were assaulted by the suspect and a Taser was used but not successfully.”

“The suspect continued to not comply with the officers and at one point threatened them, forcing the officers to fire their handgun,” the statement continued. “The male died at the scene.”

The Tri-City Special Investigative Unit, a special task force that handles officer-involved shootings, has reportedly taken over the case. The Pasco Police Department said it followed standard procedure and placed the officers in the case on administrative leave. Pasco police declined to release the name of the officers or the name of the suspect.

Warning: The video below is disturbing. It shows the shooting, and the suspect’s body.


Understand the importance of honest news ?

So do we.

The past year has been the most arduous of our lives. The Covid-19 pandemic continues to be catastrophic not only to our health - mental and physical - but also to the stability of millions of people. For all of us independent news organizations, it’s no exception.

We’ve covered everything thrown at us this past year and will continue to do so with your support. We’ve always understood the importance of calling out corruption, regardless of political affiliation.

We need your support in this difficult time. Every reader contribution, no matter the amount, makes a difference in allowing our newsroom to bring you the stories that matter, at a time when being informed is more important than ever. Invest with us.

Make a one-time contribution to Alternet All Access, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.

Click to donate by check.

DonateDonate by credit card
Donate by Paypal
{{ }}