Police Disperse, Arrest Some 'Flood Wall Street' Protesters, But Demonstrators Vow to Continue

One day after approximately 310,000 protesters converged on Manhattan to protest climate change, thousands of activists flooded Wall Street to bring attention to the "role of capitalism in fueling the climate crisis." The Wall Street action Monday, which has roots in the Occupy Wall Street movement of 2011, brought traffic to a standstill in lower Manhattan, and featured bands, drums and speakers. More than a hundred police officers were on hand, ready with plastic handcuffs to arrest protesters. When protesters tried to bounce a 15-foot symbolic carbon bubble balloon atop Wall Street's famous bull statue, police ripped the bubble apart. Protesters also chanted "The people united can never be defeated."

Later some protesters tried to lasso the bull.

At around 3:30 p.m., after the first arrest, the crowd shrunk to the core group of about 1,000 protesters, and later the police reportedly used pepper spray to the area. But the group moved north on Broadway toward Wall Street and was still there at 5:30 p.m. At 6:30 p.m., the police told protesters to disperse or be arrested. At 7:05 p.m., some 80 to 70 protesters, who remained defiant and continued to sit on Broadway near Wall Street, were arrested, including one in a polar bear suit. 

Police say 102 arrested were made. 

The event included speakers decrying the role of corporate capitalism in environmental ruin. Using the technique popularized at Occupy Wall Street, the speakers' words were repeated back through the crowd, a sort of human amplification system. Drums also accompanied percussive chants among the crowd singing "We're not going to take it anymore."

At 1:15 approximately, one man was arrested. A woman was also arrested later, supposedly for trespassing on public school property. Some of the crowds had dissipated, but the core group remained on the street before the pepper spray came out. Another gathering at Dag Hammarskjold Plaza near the U.N. is planned for this evening.

Before the protest, organizers estimated 2,000 would participate, with hundreds ready to risk arrest for their civil disobedience. Some reports had the number of attendees closer to 1,000.

There were no arrests at Sunday's far huger climate march.

Here are some photos from the today's protest:




Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. AlterNet’s journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. We’re here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And we’re proud to say that we’ve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 years—longer than any other progressive news site on the Internet.

It’s through the generosity of our supporters that we’re able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone can’t pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.