Use of Flesh-Rotting 'Zombie' or Krokodil Drug Appears to be Spreading

Since its apparent debut in the U.S, reports of the flesh-eating drug desomorphine, more commonly known as krokodil, or the “zombie drug” have slowly begun to show up all over the country. Krokodil first made its public appearance in Russia in 2002 due to the country’s lack of drug treatment facilities and increase in opiate use. People living at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder have turned to this drug for a heroin-like high because it’s 10 to 20 times cheaper than the real stuff.


The drug is made of codeine, gasoline, paint thinner, oil, and alcohol, and is injected into the skin. When injected, the drug gives users an intense and euphoric high, but simultaneously eats away at the skin from the inside out and hardens it until it turns green and falls off, sometimes even leaving muscles and bones exposed.

While the DEA has yet to confirm any American cases of desomorphine abuse, krokodil seems to have arrived in the U.S. this September when two people in Arizona were admitted to the hospital with the drug’s gruesome trademark wounds. Ever since, use of the flesh-eating drug appears to be spreading. Krokodil-like wounds and use has been reported in the following states: 

Utah: Reports of possible krokodil abuse cropped up in Utah shortly following the reports in Arizona.

Illinois: More recently an ABC affiliate in Chicago reported on the Neitzel sisters, who were among five people hospitalized with black spots and blisters all over their bodies. The five discovered that they had all been taking krokodil accidentally, instead of heroin which they thought they were purchasing, and came forward to the media as a warning to others.

New York: According to the Verge, there have been two reported krokodil sightings in New York City at the high-end night clubs Le Bain and the Westway, indicating that the drug may be working its way through the nightlife scene.

Oklahoma (maybe): The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics this week began investigating the death of 33-year-old Justin McGree of Duncan, Oklahoma. McGree’s friends said he was a krokodil user. “The doctors say it ate him from the inside out. It wasn’t until the next day that they told us that is was krokodil meth,” one friend told the Oklahoma news outlet KOKO-TV. However, a spokesman for the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics told CNN an autopsy had ruled out krokodil as a cause of death.

#story_page_post_article

Understand the importance of honest news ?

So do we.

The past year has been the most arduous of our lives. The Covid-19 pandemic continues to be catastrophic not only to our health - mental and physical - but also to the stability of millions of people. For all of us independent news organizations, it’s no exception.

We’ve covered everything thrown at us this past year and will continue to do so with your support. We’ve always understood the importance of calling out corruption, regardless of political affiliation.

We need your support in this difficult time. Every reader contribution, no matter the amount, makes a difference in allowing our newsroom to bring you the stories that matter, at a time when being informed is more important than ever. Invest with us.

Make a one-time contribution to Alternet All Access, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.

Click to donate by check.

DonateDonate by credit card
Donate by Paypal
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}

Don't Sit on the Sidelines of History. Join Alternet All Access and Go Ad-Free. Support Honest Journalism.