7 Right-Wingers Lashing Out at America For Not Electing Romney
Conservative media figures attacked Americans for reelecting President Obama, with most claiming that those who voted for Obama did so because they see him as Santa Claus and just "want free stuff." Others, like Fox News' Greg Gutfeld, likened Obama voters to "the wife who ignores a horrible husband because she can't imagine an alternative."
Right-Wing Media: Americans Voted For Obama Because They "Want Free Stuff"
1. Rush Limbaugh: Obama Won Because "People Are Not Going To Vote Against Santa Claus, Especially If The Alternative Is Being Your Own Santa Claus." On his radio show, Rush Limbaugh posited that the election was not a rejection of conservatism but rather an embrace of "Santa Claus":
LIMBAUGH: Let me tell you, small things beat big things yesterday. Conservatism, in my humble opinion, did not lose last night. It's just very difficult to beat Santa Claus. It is practically impossible to beat Santa Claus. People are not going to vote against Santa Claus especially if the alternative is being your own Santa Claus. [Premiere Radio Networks, The Rush Limbaugh Show, 11/7/12]
2. Bill O'Reilly: "The Voters, Many Of Them Feel Like The Economic System Is Stacked Against Them, And They Want Stuff." Fox News' Bill O'Reilly explained Obama's likely election-night victory by deriding half of the voting public as people "who want stuff" and "things." He added: "And who is going to give them things? President Obama." He went on to say:
O'REILLY: The voters, many of them feel that the economic system is stacked against them, and they want stuff. You're going to see a tremendous Hispanic vote for President Obama. Overwhelming black vote for President Obama. And women will probably break President Obama's way. People feel that they are entitled to things, and which candidate, between the two, is going to give them things? [Fox News, America's Election Headquarters, 11/6/12]
3. Greg Gutfeld Compared Obama Voters To "The Wife Who Ignores A Horrible Husband Because She Can't Imagine An Alternative." On Fox News' The Five, co-host Greg Gutfeld said that "Obama voters ignore the metrics of success" in that "they don't care that income is getting lower" and "they don't care about" unemployment and debt. He added: "It's like the wife who ignores a horrible husband because she can't imagine an alternative." [Fox News, The Five, 11/7/12]
4. Eric Bolling Accused Half Of Americans Of Voting For "Class Warfare." On Fox News' The Five, co-host Eric Bolling said he couldn't believe 50 percent of Americans would want four more years of "the class warfare guy":
BOLLING: We can't blame President Obama. We knew who he was. For four years, we've known exactly what he is. He's the class warfare guy, he's divisive, he's the maker versus taker guy. I have to sit back and go, Americans -- 50 percent of people who voted voted for more of that? Four more years of that? It's our own fault, people. [Fox News, The Five, 11/7/12]
5. Monica Crowley: Election Results Show More Americans "Now Are Dependent On Government Than Not." Saying that the election results "point to something much bigger" than the quality of the campaigns, Fox News contributor Monica Crowley claimed that President Obama and the left have "accelerated this process of changing the very nature and character of the country where more people now are dependent on government than not. He tried to accelerate us to that tipping point. The results last night, I think, show that perhaps he's gotten us there." [Fox News, America Live, 11/7/12]
6. Sean Hannity: Obama Voters Are Like The Children Who Favor The Lenient Parent Who Lets Them Watch TV And Eat Anything They Want. On his radio show, Sean Hannity explained Obama's election victory by comparing him to the less strict parent that lets children watch TV and "eat all the crap [they] want." He referred to Romney, however, as the responsible parent who says "you've got to study, you've got to do your homework, you've got to work hard, you must work in the summertime, you've got to do your chores. You don't do these things and you don't get to do what you want." He said "if you ask the kid who's the nicer parent he'll probably pick the person that's going to say 'Well, I want to stay at the party 'till 1am. All my friends are going to be there. Everyone else is going to be there why can't I be there?' It's just a mentality." [Premiere Radio Networks, The Sean Hannity Show, 11/7/12]
7. Brian Kilmeade Attacked Americans As "Shallow" For Voting For Obama Based On His Response To Hurricane Sandy. After Fox host Heather Nauert said that exit polls indicate that some voters who picked Obama over Romney did so because they approved of Obama's handling of Hurricane Sandy, Fox & Friends co-host Brian Kilmeade replied: "Then we're the shallowest country in the history of man." Co-host Gretchen Carlson agreed, saying: "Yeah, no kidding." [Fox News, Fox & Friends, 11/7/12]