Lakoff: What Obama Did Wrong in the First Debate
You don’t win a presidential debate by being a policy wonk. Obama violated all the basics of presidential debating. The best defense is a good offense. You have to set the terms of the debate and press those terms. Obama failed. Here are those basics:
- State your moral values. Contrast them with your opponent’s.
- Project empathy and enthusiasm. Connect.
- Communicate clearly and simply.
- Be authentic. Say just what you believe.
- Project trust.
- Present an authentic view of yourself that the public can identify with and be proud of.