5 Foods With Way More Calories That You Think
A new study reveals that the calories listed by restaurants on their menus are mostly off. The soup or salad you're eating because it's a "healthy" choice, may have 100 to 275 more calories than the restaurant says.
"The calories on your plate may be quite different from what you think you are getting, and the trouble is you can't tell," says senior researcher Susan Roberts of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston.
The study looked at 69 restaurant dishes from 42 popular fast-food and restaurants, including McDonald's, Burger King, Olive Garden, Taco Bell, Denny's and Chipotle.
The study found 50 dishes which contained 100 calories or more and 17 foods that had at least 273 more calories.
The following are some which were too good to be true:
- BK Burger Shots, 6-pack, listed as 670 actually has 257 more
- On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina chips and salsa, listed as 430, actually has 1,081, 1,040,1,007 and 918 more****
- Denny's veggie-cheese omelette, listed as 500 actually has 168 more
- Taco Bell's grilled stuff burrito, beef, listed as 700 calories actually has 132 more
- Olive Garden's chicken and gnocchi soup, listed as 250 calories actually has 246 more