Get your Pombo on...
Richard Pombo, "the Jerry Falwell of the property-rights movement," is a scary politician.
A seven-term Republican representative from the conservative Central Valley of California, Pombo is an immensely powerful figure in the anti-environment movement.
Representing a predominantly rural, agriculture- and ranching-intensive area as he does, it's not particularly surprising that he's against certain environmental regulations. But according to this Democracy for America page, Pombo's record is just head-shakingly terrible:
As Chairman of the House Resources Committee, he has led the Republican assault on three decades of environmental protection. Under his direction the committee staff has developed reports and legislation aimed at:
And if that's not enough, DFA says "Pombo voted against every major piece of environmental legislation to come before the House in 2004."
- Rewriting and diluting the Endangered Species Act
- Rewriting and diluting the National Environmental Policy Act
- Opening up offshore areas to oil and gas drilling
- Challenging scientific evidence on the harmful effects of mercury in the environment
- Championing an Energy Bill that fails to encourage alternate energy and energy efficiency while providing big subsidies to oil and gas companies and opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling
So if you're still in the market for a scary costume this Halloween, the Sierra Club has got your back. Or, rather, your front. With the handy-dandy Pombo mask, you too can dress up as a Conservative White Male this year!
It's a bit edgier than that Bush/Cheney/Rove mask you were gonna wear, but maybe just a little less cool than the retro Star Wars masks.