So you've just watched the Supreme Court OK the display of the Ten Commandments on government property and you're pissed. But you're not pissed at religion, you're pissed at religion's abusers -- those who manipulate, vulgarize and ultimately weaken the spiritual underpinnings of your most cherished beliefs.
Here are exactly two ways for progressives to fight back...gently:
- Tikkun's Spiritual Activism Conference in Berkeley from July 20-23. Sponsored by Tikkun Magazine, recently recallibrated to include all faiths, the conference has three goals:
- Challenge the misuse of God and religion by the Religious Right
- Challenge the ethos of selfishness and materialism of the advanced industrial societies
- Build an alliance between secular, religious and "spiritual but not religious" progressives
- And then there's the brand new Christian Alliance for Progress whose website features this quote splashed across the top:
"I feel embarrassed and angry that Christianity has been use to divide our country and to promote bigotry and war. I joined this movement to stand up for compassion and justice."