DURST: Good Baptist Beliefs
Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.
The Southern Baptist Convention amended its statement of beliefs for the first time in 35 years to include a statement that says women should "submit graciously" to their husbands. Cool. I'm hoping that means if I convert to Baptism or whatever, I don't have to do dishes any more. Debi, the heathen pagan, stubbornly disagrees. Of course, it'll take awhile for her to adopt those good Baptist beliefs. Like 9,000 light years. You watch. She'll burn. You got to love these guys. First they hold their annual convention in Salt Lake City in a snotty attempt to kick holier than thou sand in the Mormons face, and then they make a decision to drag themselves kicking and screaming into the 13th century by declaring 51 percent of the population subservient to the other 49 percent. Proponents of the Baptists declaration argue that without such a Biblical structure, civilized society is in jeopardy. Maybe civilized society is in greater jeopardy if it keeps ascribing to a centuries old system of rigid moral authority rather than realizing that the whole idea is not to hurt other people on purpose. And not starting wars based on which comic book character you believe in. Will Durst is proud to say he's a Druid.