The Most Outrageous Media Comments of 2009 -- Glenn Beck Takes the Cake
Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.
Outrageous comments are nothing new to the conservative media -- one might even call them a defining characteristic. The Most Outrageous Comment of the 2009 came when Fox News host Glenn Beck asserted that Obama is a "racist" who has "exposed himself as a guy" with "a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture," but right-wing media figures made plenty of other unhinged remarks throughout the year:
Racially charged remarks
The election of the first black U.S. president led to a slew of racially charged comments that were truly outrageous:
- Limbaugh on Obama: "We are being told that we have to hope he succeeds, that we have to bend over, grab the ankles ... because his father was black"
- Jesse Lee Peterson: "I think we all agree that Barack Obama was elected by, mostly by black racists and white guilty people."
- Criticizing federal response in KY, Quinn claimed Obama "basically sees white people as kind of a you know, sort of an evil fact of life"
- Savage: Obama is "biggest liar in the history of the presidency," and he's "getting away with it... because he's a man of color"
- Limbaugh: "[I]n Obama's America, the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering"
- Limbaugh: Obama is "the greatest living example of a reverse racist"
- Limbaugh: "Obama's entire economic program is reparations"
- Bay Buchanan on "quota queen" Sotomayor: "Her whole life was dedicated to demanding special privileges"
- Pat Buchanan: "This has been a country built, basically, by white folks"
- O'Reilly tease: "[S]hould white Americans be concerned about Judge Sotomayor?"
- Quinn to "race-baiting" African-American "ingrates": "get on your knees" and "kiss the American dirt" because slavery brought them to U.S.
- Savage declares: "The white Christian heterosexual married male is the epitome of everything right with America"
War on the poor
In the midst of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, some right-wing media figures attacked the poor:
- Cunningham on the poor: "They're poor because they lack values, ethics, and morals"
- Cunningham on Section 8 housing: "I like keeping all those degenerates in one location so we can keep an eye on them"; residents "sit around and fornicate, defecate"
- Bill Cunningham claims stimulus "give[s] ACORN up to $4.2 trillion" and contains "$350 million to hand out condoms and birth control pills so the poor can fornicate like rabbits"
- Limbaugh fill-in Davis: Cash for Clunkers "helps your shiftless cousin buy more meth," lets you buy "carton of Luckys"
- Boortz: People living in Katrina trailers, Section 8 housing and on welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote
- Boortz welfare rant -- "human parasitic garbage lining up to get their applications to loot"
War on women
Right-wing media figures also engaged in sexism and downright misogyny:
- Quinn calls Pelosi "Bolshevik Bitch with a Mallet"
- Limbaugh: If Pelosi "wants fewer births, I have the way to do this and it won't require any contraception: You simply put pictures of Nancy Pelosi ... in every cheap motel room. ... That will keep birthrates down because that picture will keep a lot of things down"
- Limbaugh airs clip of Hillary Clinton, asks his listeners, "Doesn't that remind you of your first, and maybe your second, both, your ex-wives?"
- Limbaugh on Pelosi: "The third person in line for the presidency in this country is a complete airhead"
- Limbaugh: "[Granholm's] a ditz. Pelosi is a ditz. Obama is a menace and a danger."
- Savage claims that "as a result of women on Naval ships," they have become "floating brothels"
- Limbaugh: Hillary Clinton wasn't let into Marines because "they didn't have uniforms or boots big enough to fit that butt and those ankles"
- Post's Milbank, flashing Hillary Clinton photo: "We won't tell you who's getting a bottle of Mad Bitch" beer
- Quinn on Pelosi: "This bitch is trying to get us to lose the war!"
- Ingraham: "Nancy Pelosi basically did everything except sell her own body" to pass health care reform bill
- Beck on Landrieu: "We're with a high-class prostitute"
- Echoing Beck, Limbaugh claims Landrieu "may be the most expensive prostitute in the history of prostitution"
Attacks on GLBT community
In addition to a sustained assault on Department of Education official Kevin Jennings, right-wingers made outrageous attacks based on sexual orientation: