Van Jones: One of the Most Visionary Progressive Leaders
Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.
Van Jones has been leading the rallying call for a greener and a more inclusive America. He has been advocating for a green recovery plan in response to our economic and environmental problems. His ideas of "social uplifting environmentalism" are a way to help people save and earn money, to create jobs, lift people out of poverty, clean up the air and water, reduce global warming emissions and spark our economic engines.
"The economic recession has seriously affected all the cultural and educational institutions in our country," said Perry Rosenstein, president of the Puffin Foundation, Ltd., the co-sponsor of the Creative Citizenship award. "A green 'tidal wave' of reconstruction of the American economy can lead us out of this dilemma. Van Jones is pointing the way. We are proud to honor his leadership."
Hamilton Fish, the president of The Nation Institute, which co-sponsors the prize, said, "In a year of change, Van Jones offers an integrated, progressive blueprint that simultaneously promotes jobs, environmental stewardship and economic progress. He has arrived to pull us back from the brink."
In honor of Jones’ award, here’s a look at some of the best pieces we've run in the last few months by Jones and about his work.
- Van Jones: How We Can Lead Our Country Out of Crisis by Tara Lohan, Joshua Holland, AlterNet. Jones talks about a new vision for America in which progressives go from protest to governance.
- It Is Time to Change from Fighting Against Something to Fighting for Something by Van Jones, The Nation. To do that we need a broad effort of wise, compassionate forces in society and the enlightened self-interest of the green business community.
- Three Things Obama Should Do First by Van Jones, AlterNet. If he wants to save our economy and create jobs, he's got to start right away with this three-point plan.
- We Can't Drill Our Way Out of Our Energy Problems by Van Jones, AlterNet. In an electrifying speech, Jones explains that we have to invent and invest our way out of the economic and environmental crises.
- A Green Bailout: We Need Help for People Who Want to Save the Planet by Van Jones, Huffington Post. Don't give platinum parachutes to those who wrecked the economy; let's throw a green lifeline to the people who want to rebuild it.
- Van Jones: Green Jobs Can Fix Economic and Ecological Crises by ZP Heller, Brave New Films. How clean energy solutions will spur the market.