11 Signs You're With The Person You Should Marry
Photo Credit: Shutterstock/Vera F
Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.
Do men have biological clocks? Yes, they do. A man can feel the need to grow up and have a family, especially when he finds a woman who inspires those feelings in him. The problem is, how can you be sure the match is a good one? You'd think the positive signs in a date would be obvious, but with all the excitement, the most important clues can be overlooked. What makes for a great date may not be all you need for a great relationship. This checklist of positive signs will help you evaluate your date in a realistic manner. If you get a lot of these positives, this date might be a good choice for marriage.
1. He has a sense of humor. Of all the characteristics that are essential for getting through life successfully, a sense of humor has to be in the top 10. But what kind of a sense of humor? Joking at someone else's expense or at inappropriate times can be counter-productive. Using jokes to avoid taking responsibility for one's behavior can prevent you from solving problems. The sense of humor you're looking for is the generous, positive kind that makes life more fun and the tough times easier. If your date can make your laugh and lift your spirits, that talent may help you through some future difficulties.
2. He cares about what you think. A date who asks for and listens to your opinions and feelings; remembers what you say and builds on it later; and responds with empathy, sincerity and caring, is someone with whom you can communicate and likely form a partnership. If you pay attention, you can quickly notice the difference between the appearance of caring and real caring. If your relationship is successful, you'll have years of talking to each other, so find someone who is interesting to talk to and also interested in talking with you. Your date should be able to carry on an interesting discussion on a variety of topics and at least show interest, even if the topic is not something he or she is familiar with.
3. He has an opinion, too. A truly good conversationalist not only listens to your words and responds, but has ideas and opinions. Your date should not hesitate to disagree with you or to bring up new topics.
4. He can work things out with you. Recent research shows that the single most important quality that determines whether a relationship can succeed is how well the couple solves problems. If you have a disagreement while dating, welcome it as an opportunity to see how well the two of you work it out together. If you can discuss your differences without becoming defensive or sarcastic, and you can listen to each other and work together toward a solution, your relationship has an excellent chance.
5. He accepts who you are. The popular book asserts that Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, but I think it's more that we're all from different planets. You and your date are unique, special and individual and need to be able to understand each other and accept that you'll perceive things differently. Even when you and your date see things differently, you should be able to agree to disagree. The security and comfort in your relationship will come from where you and your partner are similar, and the excitement and growth in the relationship are generated from your differences. Different interests, opinions, attitudes and ideas will keep things fresh and alive between you. If your date does not become defensive or threatened by your differences, you can be interesting to each other for a long time.